The Berkshire Hathaway (BRK-A) annual meeting in Omaha is highly anticipated every year, and 2011 is no different. The subject matter, however, has centered around one particular issue -- a bit of unpleasantness regarding former executive David Sokol.
With Sokol's resignation dominating the conversation for the last month-plus, the business world was watching to see what Berkshire CEO Warren Buffett, for many people's money the greatest investor ever, would have to say about one of his ex-executives.
The Sokol matter -- in which he resigned after suggesting Berkshire buy Lubrizol (LZ), a company whose shares he had recently purchased -- has received ample treatment at the meeting, but Buffett has also tackled a number of other topics of interest, as well. For a wrap-up of some of the key stories that have emerged at this year's installment of the Berkshire meeting, read on.
IN THE HEADLINES:
* Buffett Calls Sokol Stock Purchases 'Inexcusable' - The Wall Street Journal
* Sokol's Response: Buffett's Criticism Is 'Alarming' - The New York Times
* Judgment Day - Reuters BreakingViews
* Buffett Takes Sharper Tone in Sokol Affair - The New York Times
* Buffett: Sokol Did Violate Berkshire Rules - Fox Business (Video)
* The Berkshire Meeting by the Minute - The New York Times
* Buffett on the Dollar, Gold and Oil - The Wall Street Journal
* Berkshire May Have Underwriting Loss on Disasters - Bloomberg
* @Morgan_03 - I just don't care what Buffet & Co have to say. He's worth billions, so what if he has $100k salary. Am I jaded?
* @Convertbond - It's very clear to me, Ajit Jain will be the next CEO of Berkshire Hathaway #Berkshire #BRK2011
* @LWinthorpe - Uncle Warren piling on the "USD is trash train?"... No way he can end looking silly twice in the span of few days, is there?
ON THE BLOGS:
* Warren Buffett Does MMT - Pragmatic Capitalism
* Sokol vs Sokal - Paul Kedrosky, Infectious Greed
* Warren Buffett: We're Looking at Two Deals But Won't Stretch for a 'Really Big Elephant' - Warren Buffett Watch, via CNBC
* Warren Buffett's Latest Berkshire Hathaway Shareholder Letter — Thro Poker (and PR) Lenses - TexasHoldemInvesting.com
* Warren Buffett on David Sokol: 'No Question' He Misled Me - Deal Journal, via The Wall Street Journal
* Buffett Hearts Berkshire's Ajit Jain - Deal Journal, via The Wall Street Journal
- Berkshire Hathaway
- Berkshire CEO Warren Buffett
- Berkshire Hathaway #Berkshire #BRK2011