Here's a look at some of the key trading and investing ideas we wanted to point out Tuesday.
In the headlines:
- From The New York Times: Regulators to Set Rules on Mortgage Securities - Banks will be forced to retain some risk when they securitize all but the most conservative mortgages under rules that regulators are expected to vote on Tuesday. But the banks are likely to be given wide leeway in determining what risks to keep.
- Also in the NYT: Amber Waves to Ivory Bolls - This spring, many farmers in southern states will be planting cotton in ground where they used to grow corn, soybeans or wheat -- spurred on by cotton prices that have soared as clothing makers clamor for more and poor harvests crimp supply.
- At SmartMoney: ETFs: Is the Party Over? - After the earthquake and tsunami in Japan, opportunistic investors have been pumping record amounts of cash into exchange-traded funds that invest in Japanese companies. But now, more than two weeks after the disaster, is the bargain hunting over?
Other stories of note:
- 3 Stocks Doomsayers Should Like - SmartMoney
- Targeted Ways to Beat Inflation - WSJ
- Making Whoopi as Small Investors Absorb Risk: Susan Antilla - Bloomberg
- BATS to List Public Shares, Challenging NYSE, Nasdaq - Reuters
- No Stopping Silver Prices: Trader - TheStreet
- Five Insanely Cheap Tech Stocks - Minyanville
- Becoming a Better Investor: Basics - Benzinga
On the blogs:
- Who Has Tougher Bank Regulations, US or Europe? - The Big Picture, Barry Ritholtz
- Currencies Tied To Commodity Rich Markets Seen As Ready For A Pullback - Focus on Funds (Barron's)
- Sports Stadium Bonds in Trouble? - Calculated Risk
- Doug Kass - @DougKass market stuck in the middle - adding to gm on weakness and xl on strength
- Ashraf Laidi - @alaidi i think rather than QE3 in summer, they'll likely stretch out POMOs to end of summer & ultimately QE3 in 2012 #fomc #forex $SPX $$
- BloombergNow - @BloombergNow Rising Corn Acreage Failing to Meet U.S. Feed, Ethanol Use http://bloom.bg/eeLvcf
- Tadas Viskanta - @abnormalreturns
Tuesday look-in: hedgies heart equities, $AUDUSD at new highs and dim sum bonds. http://stk.ly/fTmanq $AMZN $GLD $VIX $CORN
After you've read these, help us and your fellow investors by letting us know what we're missing. Point us to the great content you've found so that we can share it with the world. Email us at email@example.com.