Local Corp do it like Google and Apple - Companies need both: To be first to market and have patents protecting their products - and Google, Apple and Local Corp has both – in opposite to a company like Groupon (only product) or Vringo (only patents)
Milo saying about MIlo: "Milo is local shopping made easy. We search your local store shelves in real-time to find the best prices and availability for the products you want to have — right now. Milo shows you what's in-stock where and tells you how much it costs at that moment. We also offer detailed product information and user reviews, so you can be confident you're getting a product that fits your needs. In short, we make it easy to access the best of both online and offline shopping worlds — all in one place.
As the boundary between online and offline commerce continues to blur, Milo continues to expand its coverage and capabilities — increasing our number of products and retailers, introducing additional mobile features and working to seamlessly connect the online and offline worlds. With the additional resources of eBay, Milo is intent on changing the face of shopping — for decades to come."
I am sure, that Ebay's Milo hurts the following important patent of Local Corp - Abstract of Local Corp's Patent
"A localization service is provided that provides users with online information on local retailers that sell particular products. A user can perform a search using a web page associated with the localization service or by searching using an internet search engine. The user's search includes a search origin. The search origin may be defined in terms of location information such as a place name or a postal code. A search for a particular product at local retailers may be made using search parameters such as search origins, product names, model numbers, product categories, and product attributes. The localization service may provide the user with search results in the form of web pages that list which retailers sell the desired product in the vicinity of the search origin. A targeted advertisement server at the localization service may use display criteria to determine which targeted advertisements should be displayed for the user."
I am sure, that Ebay's Milo hurts an important patent of Local Corp - What is claimed is:
1. A computer-implemented method for providing online local shopping information to a user with a web browser who is interested in purchasing a product at a brick and mortarretailer, comprising: at an online localization service having a database including geocodes for a plurality of retailer addresses, receiving a universal resource locator from the web browser that contains a plurality of search parameters, wherein thesearch parameters include a search origin that indicates a geographic location and a product name for a product; at the localization service, using the search origin and the product name to generate a web page containing a list of retailers in thevicinity of the search origin that carry the product; and consulting a plurality of geocoding services over the internet to determine whether the geocodes are accurate with the localization service.
2. The method defined in claim 1 further comprising ordering the retailers on the web page according to their distance from the search origin.
3. The method defined in claim 1 further comprising: with an advertisement server, providing a targeted advertisement for the web page.
4. The method defined in claim 1 further comprising: with an advertisement server, receiving at least the product name and the search origin; and applying targeted advertisement display criteria to at least the product name and the searchorigin to determine which targeted advertisement to display on the web page.
5. The method defined in claim 1 wherein the localization service comprises a database containing promotional pricing information, the method further comprising: displaying product prices on the web page, wherein the product prices reflectpromotional pricing adjustments from the promotional pricing information.
And the additional claims 6. - 20. you can read on patentgenius.c.. My advice: Do it and I am sure, you will believe like Flankenking, that Ebay's Milo and Groupons Now and a lot other hurt this important patent of Local Corp. Less