Fortune: "Water is one of the great business opportunities. Water promises to be to the 12st century what oil was to the 20th century: the precious commodity that determines the wealth of nations."
• The World Health Organization estimates that 80% of all sickness stems from unsafe water and sanitation. Each year, five million people – many of them children – die from water-related diseases.
• The United Nations forecasts that by 2030, almost half the world's population will live in areas facing water stress or water scarcity. Already, over 80 countries are facing critical water shortages.
• The Population Institute says global demand for fresh water already exceeds supply by 17%.
• The International Food Policy Research Institute claims that by 2020, we will need 20% more water than is currently available.
• The 2030 Water Resources Group estimates that global water requirements will soar by over 50% over the next 20 years.