war is not the only way to punish criminal Assad war crimes
we certainly should not meddle in their civil war without UN authorization and there are many ways to punish Assad for crossing the "red line":
1. Bring those guilty of atrocities to justice. With the backing of the U.N. Security Council, those responsible for the chemical weapons attacks and other war crimes should be brought to the International Criminal Court (ICC) for justice, whether they are part of the Syrian regime or members of opposition forces. "1
2. Call for a United Nations embargo on arms, military supplies, and logistical support for both Damascus and opposition forces
3. The U.N. Security Council should hold an international peace conference involving not only the Syrian government and opposition parties, but their backers from outside the country and those affected by the flow of refugees and arms.
4. Offer aid and support to the nonviolent movements within Syria, or, at least, don't undermine them.
5. Provide the humanitarian aid desperately needed by the millions of displaced people
6. Force the hand of Russia and China in the Security Council. Many people believe that Russia and China have vetoed efforts in the United Nations to condemn the Syrian regime or to impose sanctions on it. But all these governments have done, so far, is threaten to veto.
Jannuzi says that the other 11 members of the Security Council should take the issue to a vote and force Russia and China to actually exercise their veto power.
Published on Friday, September 6, 2013 by YES! Magazine