``PITTSBURGH, July 28 /PRNewswire/ -- TimeSys� Corporation, a leader in Embedded Linux� and development tools, announced today a technical agreement with IBM to deliver TimeSys Linux RTOS and TimeSys' Linux- and Windows-hosted development tools on IBM's PowerPC� 440 family of System-on-a-Chip embedded processors.''
TimeSys Teams with IBM for Real-Time Embedded Linux(R)
Begin with the fact that personal computer microprocessors like the Pentium 4 are only 1%-2% of worldwide microprocessor sales, while the other 98%-99% are embedded microprocessors. The average American home has 40-50 of them (washers, dryers, VCRs, DVD players, remotes), a PC about 10, and a new car 50 or more, according to Jim Turley of ExtremeTech.
Fool.com: World Tech Domination? [Commentary] July 1, 2003
Did you take moron lessons or have you learned it on your own?
RTOS are processor specific. The process of adaption takes long period for higher levels and they are virtually useless on smaller embedded systems.
So, if you have a $4000 watch with that processor, you might need a high level system. Other than that, you might consider just writing it yourself and save the royalty expense.
Don't post what you don't understand.
So you're saying that Microsoft isn't interested in 98%-99% of the microprocessor market, but will remain writing to a 1%-2% niche of it (Pentium-class only) while their OS continues to get commoditized.
By jove I think he's got the point!
I accept your concession of defeat. But that doesn't answer the question:
Where oh where is Microsoft's RTOS? Don't they want to expand their market share? Why not?
<<Do you have a RTOS definition you'd like to share before I show you? >>
Too funny. Nice Catch. Get that definition FIRST. Or the Basher will change it mid thread...
I was going to let click keep harping on RTOS, before I showed him his folly.