The conservative Heritage Foundation is continuing to be a leading force against what it considers to be a cover-up within the Obama administration of the death of Ambassador J. Christopher Stevens and three other Americans at the U.S. Consulate in the Libyan city of Benghazi last month.
The campaign, consisting of reports, blog posts and now an event and video — which even includes a suggestion that President Obama would “coincidentally” strike Libya ahead of the presidential debate on national security and foreign policy — is aimed at forcing the administration to abandon the “ridiculous story” that a YouTube video was to blame for the attack.
Obama October Surprise, Massive Middle-Class Tax Hikes “Devastating Indictment” of President's
Oct 23,2012 - Hatch Calls Report Showing Obama Budget Plan Would Lead To Massive Middle-Class
Tax Hikes “Devastating Indictment” of President's Policies
Utah Senator Says American Action Forum Report Exposes President’s Tax-and-Spend Plan
Senate Finance Committee Ranking Member Orrin Hatch (R-Utah) cited a report released by the American Action Forum that found that President Obama’s economic proposals will raise taxes on middle class income earners making as little as $30,000 per year, with the average increase per American taxpayer being $1,500. The study is based on the tax implications of the Obama Administration’s current spending plans.
“Simply put, the President’s spending plans and his claims to not raise taxes just don’t add up,” Hatch said. “Just today Vice President Biden said that the middle class has been ‘buried the last four years’ under President Obama, and as this study shows, President Obama’s policies will put them in even more of a hole. When is enough, enough? All we’ve heard from this White House over the last four years has been more ideas to spend more Americans’ hard-earned tax dollars, and this report is a devastating indictment of President Obama’s failed economic agenda.”
The report examines the fiscal outlook for balancing the budget over the next ten years. The report summarizes that “If spending plans are unchanged, it appears inevitable that the middle class will face higher taxes. Assuming that one-half the adjustment occurs on the tax side, and that higher taxes are phased in slowly, taxpayers making as little $30,000 will face higher taxes that average as
much as $1,500 annually over the next 10 years.”
Vote for President Obama if you like this WASHINGTON, DC – Obamacare contains 20 new or higher taxes on American families and small businesses. Arranged by their respective effective dates, below is the total list of all $500 billion- plus in tax hikes (over the next ten years) in Obamacare, where to find them in the bill, and how much your taxes are scheduled to go up as of today:
Taxes that took effect in 2010:
1. Excise Tax on Charitable Hospitals (Min$/immediate): $50,000 per hospital if they fail to meet new “community health assessment needs,” “financial assistance,” and “billing and collection” rules set by HHS. Bill: PPACA; Page: 1,961-1,971
2. Codification of the “economic substance doctrine” (Tax hike of $4.5 billion). This provision allows the IRS to disallow completely-legal tax deductions and other legal tax-minimizing plans just because the IRS deems that the action lacks “substance” and is merely intended to reduce taxes owed. Bill: Reconciliation Act; Page: 108-113
3. “Black liquor” tax hike (Tax hike of $23.6 billion). This is a tax increase on a type of bio-fuel. Bill: Reconciliation Act; Page: 105
4. Tax on Innovator Drug Companies ($22.2 bil/Jan 2010): $2.3 billion annual tax on the industry imposed relative to share of sales made that year. Bill: PPACA; Page: 1,971-1,980
5. Blue Cross/Blue Shield Tax Hike ($0.4 bil/Jan 2010): The special tax deduction in current law for Blue Cross/Blue Shield companies would only be allowed if 85 percent or more of premium revenues are spent on clinical services. Bill: PPACA; Page: 2,004
6. Tax on Indoor Tanning Services ($2.7 billion/July 1, 2010): New 10 percent excise tax on Americans using indoor tanning salons. Bill: PPACA; Page: 2,397-2,399
7. Medicine Cabinet Tax ($5 bil/Jan 2011): Americans no longer able to use health savings account (HSA), flexible spending account (FSA), or health reimbursement (HRA) pre-tax dollars to purchase non- prescription, over-the-counter medicines (except insulin). Bill: PPACA; Page: 1,957-1,959
8. HSA Withdrawal Tax Hike ($1.4 bil/Jan 2011): Increases additional tax on non-medical early withdrawals from an HSA from 10 to 20 percent, disadvantaging them relative to IRAs and other tax- advantaged accounts, which remain at 10 percent. Bill: PPACA; Page: 1,959
Tax that took effect in 2012
9. Employer Reporting of Insurance on W-2 (Min$/Jan 2012): Preamble to taxing health benefits on individual tax returns. Bill: PPACA; Page: 1,957
Taxes that take effect in 2013
10. Surtax on Investment Income ($123 billion/Jan. 2013): Creation of a new, 3.8 percent surtax on investment income earned in households making at least $250,000 ($200,000 single). This would result in the following top tax rates on investment income: Bill: Reconciliation Act; Page: 87-93
Capital Gains Dividends Other*
2012 15% 15% 35%
2013+ 23.8% 43.4% 43.4%
VOTE THIS POS PRESIDENT BARACK OBAMA OUT PLEASEEEEEEEEE
Cutter's remarks followed Wednesday's clearly partisan Congressional hearing into the killings in Benghazi. Democrats on the House of Representatives oversight committee accused the Republican chairman, Darrel Issa, of politicising them by attempting to suggest that the White House had attempted to cover up an al-Qaida attack by initially claiming the attack was prompted by popular outrage against an anti-Muslim video.
However, testimony from two former heads of US diplomatic security in Libya was damaging to the Obama administration after they told the committee that requests for additional agents to protect US officials and premises in the face of a growing threat from armed militias were rejected by the state department before the attack on Benghazi.
Cutter denied Republican assertions of a cover-up. "The administration has been open and honest from day one about the Benghazi attack," she said "As more information has become available, they've made that information available to the American people and to members of Congress. But, you know, when a crisis occurs, when an attack occurs, that information is gathered and over time it's more clear what happened."
Sentiment: Strong Sell
Obama campaign draws condemnation from GOP over Benghazi attack
Conservatives slam as 'outrageous' Stephanie Cutter's claim that Romney is using the attack in Libya for political advantage
The Obama campaign was facing intense criticism from conservatives on Thursday after a senior official said the deadly attack on the US consulate in Benghazi was only an issue because Mitt Romney was exploiting the deaths for political gain.
Sentiment: Strong Sell
The Conservative Heritage Foundation is a hack group trying to capitalize politically on the tragedy in Libya. If this organization is so interested in the failure in Libya, why are they not interested in the failure of 9/11 under Bush Jr.? Under perfect hindsight, it is now revealed that the US government under Bush in fact have plenty of information before the act that the 9/11 attack was going to occur.
The Romney campaign press secretary, Andrea Saul, dismissed Cutter's charge.
"The reason it is an issue is because, for the first time since 1979, an American ambassador was assassinated – and President Obama's foreign policy strategy of 'leading from behind' is failing," she said.
"This administration has continually misled the American public about what happened in Benghazi and, rather than be truthful about the sequence of events, has instead skirted responsibility and dodged questions. The American people deserve straight answers about this tragic event and a president who can provide leadership, not excuses."
Other Republicans said the administration has questions to answer not only as to how the attack occurred but why it initially claimed that the assault was a backlash against an anti-Muslim video before calling it a terrorist attack.
The Obama campaign defended Cutter's remarks by saying that while Romney and Ryan have "turned a national tragedy into a political circus, the president has been focused on getting the facts, finding the terrorists responsible, and bringing them to justice".
Sentiment: Strong Sell
The Heritage Foundation points to a two-page timeline sent to Secretary of State Hillary Clinton by the House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform outlining 13 known threats in less than six months.
“It was clearly never, as Administration officials once insisted, the result of a popular protest,” wrote House Chairman of the Committee on Oversight and Government Reform Rep. Jason Chaffetz (R-Utah) in an Oct. 2 letter to Clinton. “In addition, multiple U.S. federal government officials have confirmed to the Committee that, prior to the September 11 attack, the U.S. mission in Libya made repeated requests for increased security in Benghazi. The mission in Libya, however, was denied these resources by officials in Washington.”
The committee is holding a hearing Wednesday (“The Security Failures of Benghazi“) with Deputy Assistant Secretary for International Programs Charlene R. Lamb, State Department Regional Security Officer Eric Nordstrom, Utah National Guard’s Lt. Col. Andrew Wood, and Under Secretary for Management Patrick F. Kennedy providing testimony.
Also Wednesday, Heritage hosted an event, “Intelligence and Security Failure: Attacks in Benghazi and Across the Middle East Reveal Ongoing Threat of Terrorism” in which national security and intelligence experts argued that the loss of life in the Sept. 11 attack was a direct result of security and intelligence failures, as well as the Obama administration’s blindness to the other side of the coin of dictatorships falling in the Arab Spring.
New to Think Tanked? Follow Think Tanked on Twitter.