1. They dominate the enterprise market. Just like DELL vs. GTW. DELL went to the enterprise market and dominated there. GTW went to the public and the rest is history. The lead that RIMM has is too great for Palm. We don't see companies buy 2000 - 2500 Palms and handing them out to their employees. Do you guys really understand how big that is?
2. Not only do they have market dominance, but they have a better product with higher margins.
3. They have ties to some of the best of the best in the world today and have an outstanding management team that knows how to get things done. Unlike the losers at 3Com who have lived a life of mediocrity for the last 5-6 years.
4. Lets not forget the other products offered by these companies. RIMM has state of the art wireless products that now NT has put their stamp of approval on, while 3Com is still languishing in the shadows of CSCO.
5. The server network and monthly service charges that RIMM gets is gravy that 3Com can only dream about but never have.
These are just a few of the reasons why I believe the writing is already on the wall in this race. Stay with the winner. If you buy some palm, it will probably still do pretty good, but it will never be RIMM.
Great Post sunwyboy, very well though out and to the point.
That gravy portion should bring in more than even RIM projected... I can wait for FYE'00 but I'd like to see it earlier than late April (last year's date of their FYE 1999) if we do happen to get them earlier it could be a very nice indication of a greater than expected earnings.... along with some announcements that will be written in stone, not just forcasts of what might happen. IMO