2 Stocks that have been headed in opposite directions for some time now. Stay on yahoo to overlay the 2-year charts of both stocks by hitting "compare". MNRK is up over 80% while HBKS is up 8%.
Why I don't like HBKS;
- Market Cap of only 29.5 million, owes Uncle Sam 7.8 million. Is this saying that the U.S. Government owns 26-1/2% of the company.
- Jumped out of TARP I and right into TARP II (SBLF)..then turned around and increased EXEC compensation 360K for 2012 alone. Mind you, 360K is just the increase amount, not total compensation. I would have sold out of HBKS the day that happened....It smells, IMO.
- Meanwhile, as the EXECs get this nice bump (why rush to sell the company, these guys got it made for running 5 branches);
1) Stockholders pay interest to Uncle Sam while none of the principal is getting paid off
2) The last 2 Qs were a disaster, losing $378,000 (MNRK had its 17th & 18th straight record Qs)
3) Deposits dropped compared to last Q (MNRKs deposits are 257% higher then HBKS, and growing q/q & y/y)
4) Branches are closing, will they retain all their customers? (MNRK is expanding)
5) Stock is illiquid....no volume.....OTC, wipes out 95% of investors (MNRK...Soon to join the Russell??)
6) Annualized return on average assets = DOWN (MNRK up)
7) Annualized return on average common equity = DOWN (MNRK up)
I could go on buth there's only so many hours in a day.