Do I understand the situation correctly?
2012 Earnings Before Interest And Taxes - $100,958,000
2012 Interest Expense - $114,755,000
Does this mean Cenveo has to increase sales and or reduce costs by an additional 14% this year, over last year, to cover the interest expenses on it‘s loans, and break even?
"There are five basic ways a company can increase earnings: reduce costs; raise prices; expand into new markets; sell more of its product in the old markets; or revitalize, close, or otherwise dispose of a losing operation." - Warren Buffett
1. Reduce costs - This ones played out. Appears to be the only tool in Burton‘s toolbox.
2. Raise prices - Decreasing demand, too much competition.
3. Expand into new markets - New technologies, too much competition.
4. Sell more of its product in the old markets - Decreasing demand, too much competition.
5. Revitalize, close, or otherwise dispose of a losing operation. - Revitalizing costs money.
That leaves: close, or otherwise dispose of a losing operation
This company is lost, lost lost. All thats left is for the burtons to try and figure out how to line their pockets before it implodes.
That they seem to be able to do a pretty good job of. Runnig the company and making a profit, not so much.
I feel bad for the employees still there as this can only continue to get ugly.