Will Michelle Obama get Barack the help he needs in 2013?
Michelle Obama get help for your husband's Narcissistic personality disorder.
Narcissistic personality disorder is a condition in which people have an inflated sense of self-importance and an extreme preoccupation with themselves.
Causes, incidence, and risk factors
The causes of this disorder are unknown. An overly sensitive personality and parenting problems may affect the development of this disorder.
A person with narcissistic personality disorder may:
• React to criticism with rage, shame, or humiliation
• Take advantage of other people to achieve his or her own goals
• Have excessive feelings of self-importance
• Exaggerate achievements and talents
• Be preoccupied with fantasies of success, power, beauty, intelligence, or ideal love
• Have unreasonable expectations of favorable treatment
• Need constant attention and admiration
• Disregard the feelings of others, and have little ability to feel empathy
• Have obsessive self-interest
• Pursue mainly selfish goals
Signs and tests
Like other personality disorders, narcissistic personality disorder is diagnosed based on a psychological evaluation and the history and severity of the symptoms.
Psychotherapy (for example, talk therapy) may help the affected person relate to other people in a more positive and compassionate way.
The outcome depends on the severity of the disorder.
• Alcohol or other drug dependence
• Relationship, work, and family problems