Energy company in an energy crisis & NO dividends & needs guv' guarantee?
from swusntruth prior post- <since the hysterical/mostly ridiculous postings during the election campaign are now dying down - I can come out of hiding:
- USU management is far from ethical...and is NOT disclosing the REAL risks with the ACP project
- "improved DOE design outperforms the Frenchies"... you must be kidding: The "Frenchies" terminated their own Laser and Centrifuge Programs (after 3 decades) and purchased the URENCO centrifuge technology employed in 5 European URENCO plants since 1970 and in LES in New Mexico starting up in 2009. The French plant in Idaho will be a cookie cutter copy of LES plant in New Mexico and similar URENCO plants in Europe. Both LES and French AREVA will use 20 years commercial production tested centrifuges (instead of their latest generation technology with only 5 years experience record).
- First 50 AC-100 machines will be installed at USU ACP plant in 1Q2009. USU has ZERO commercial experience with the AC-100 FABRICATED in the factory that will make 11,500 AC-100 machines (!).
- YES, an AC-100 can make 350 SWU/year per machine... to be economically competitive it must do so withou fail for 20 years. The work horse URENCO machine makes 10x less SWU per machine - but it has a 20 years RELIABILITY record... and if a single machine fails it does not matter really (it will be bypassed ... no repair / no maintenance costs)
- the LES plant in New Mexico and the AREVA plant in Idaho use URENCO machines (YES - you need 10x more of them "oldies" as compared to AC-100) --- but the LES plant (official) total construction cost is $1.5B and the AREVA plant will cost ~$2B...for producing almost the same output as USU ACP... which means that the USU ACP plant @ ~$3.5B will be the hi-cost producer in the world also in future ...unable to compete with LES/ URENCO and Frenchies plant in IDAHO.
- USU is playing an extremely hi-stake gamble with AC-100 PRESSED into service at a time schedule NO OTHER SWU PRODUCER in the world would think is REALISTIC.
- the "ethical" USU management puts up smoke and mirror screens (to hide these BASIC FACTS) to keep investors happily throwing away their money on USU....>
I believe USEC "missed" it's reliability goal date with the ACP-100 centrifuge. Either more engineering refinement is needed or....
....the date could have been missed intentionally as the need to diminish the "global importance of nuclear fuel enrichment" to Iran and the rest of the Islamic world may take precedence.