Govt agreed to Studio City casino back in 2006: Posted: 1/18/2013 2:55:02 PM
The government had already accepted ‘in principle’ the introduction of a casino in the Studio City project after a request filed in 2006 by one of the original developers, our sister publication Business Daily reports.
The information was made public yesterday, in a written reply by the Gaming Inspection and Coordination Bureau director, Manuel Joaquim das Neves, to an enquiry from Legislative Assembly member Ho Ion Sang.
Mr Neves said the government “granted an authorisation in principle” to the introduction of gaming facilities in the Cotai project after the 2006 request.
The gaming regulator head stated that the initial approval was given considering that Studio City “was a development based on non-gaming activities”, namely movie industry-related facilities, “which matched the government strategy to develop other sectors”.
Mr Neves added that after Melco Crown Entertainment Ltd took over the project in 2011, the company reiterated the intention to include a casino in the project.
“The government kept its previous position”, Mr Neves said in the reply, dated January 7. He noted that the revised Studio City project, approved last year, still includes movie industry-related facilities.
But the final approval of a casino at Studio City is yet to be issued: the request will be analysed taking into account the government’s focus on balancing gaming and non-gaming development, as well Macau’s urban plans, Mr Neves said.
Short's have been getting burried and it appears it will continue with this news.