What a pain. Thanks for starting the new thread. Here is the blurb on the details again:
Howdy folks. I was wondering if there is any interest in another stock contest. We are in some boring winter months and it has been some time since the last stock contest. Also, the message boards have been somewhat fixed enough to be useable. Here are the rules again.
- Pick any three stocks before the open of the market on Monday 01/14/13.
- They must be listed with no dotPK or dotOBs. I do invest in these, but for the sake of the contest will be excluded.
- No funds. I also invest in these but this is a stock picking contest and not a fund, market timing or asset allocation contest.
- More than one person is allowed to pick the same stock.
- The winner will have the highest combined return after approximately three months or in this case after the close on Friday April 12th.
- Dividends are included. If your stock gets one, please let me know in case I might miss it.
- This is a friendly contest with the grand prize of bragging rights as the grand stock contest winner. Don't get on folks because of their picks or results. I have done great in the contest many times while my actual portfolio lagged and visa versa.
- I will try to give result updates every week or two as things progress.
Anyone is welcome to join. If you are interested, please reply to this post with three stock symbols. If you care to, you can give a short reasoning for each of your picks. If there are not many responses, I will not conduct the contest. I need to get myself motivated and maybe get some good stock ideas from folks out there. Good luck!
Here are my last minute picks as usual:
SIMO: Unfortunately, it went up over 6% the day before the contest start on friday. This fabless semiconductor company has dramatically expanded product offerings from more generic memory products to embedded processors and controllers. They are providing Samsung with some components that should be helpful going forward. I can see it getting near $20 again soon.
GNW: This pick is stolen from the last contest and was picked by baaadapple. It has already done well and has risen about 30% in the last month. The future looks bright with a new CEO and the housing market slowly recovering. They may possibly spin off some of the business and look at other ways to enhance shareholder value.
HIHO: This is a Hong Kong based contract manufacturing company which may be off limits for some. They have strong ties with Germany and are very shareholder friendly with dividends which are not regular but paid when they can. They have had trouble with rising Chinese labor costs but have increase automation and now have a partnership to sell automation systems. They lost some business but gained other. This is more of a speculative play.
I already own shares in each of these. Do your own due diligence. I may sell out or buy more at anytime depending on the market and company news. Good luck all!!!
Here is the latest list:
OK, it looks like we got a good start. Like usual, I don't have a clue to my picks yet but I am working on it. So far we have: