Dave, if you understand how the markets work and especially how the options markets work, you would realize that any sustained rally over $5 for C, has to wait until after the January leap options expire on Jan 21. So no sustained rally above $5 until Jan 24 at the earliest. It may pop above the mark momentarily like it did last week , but it you see what happens then.
I wll only consider C Jan 11 call options if we finally get a 2 to 3 day market correction this week. If that happens, I would consider the Jan 4.50 calls. Those options could go as low as .15 to .25 per option on a correction. I would also take a much smaller position on the 5.00 calls. I would sell the 4.50 calls on a runnup before earnings. Then roll the dice on the 5 calls for a slight chance they pop C above 5 per share.
No correction. I say stay away from the options. For those that say why not play the Puts? That is playing for a correction that could wait until after the options expire.