"Analyst says Apple might be considering such a deal. A source tells CNET the companies have been talking on and off for the past two years about a foundry relationship."
Apple switching to Intel for smartphones and tablets is strategically beneficial.
1. Establish common CPU architecture, OS kernel and development platform across Apple desktops, notebooks, tablets and smartphones
2. Future Apple tablets could run MAC OS apps
2. Could also run MAC OS as virtual machine on future iPhones to give users ultimate desktop portability
3. Eliminate dependence from Samsung as well as capacity concerns
4. Apple would stay at the forefront of the CPU innovation and cost/performance benefits