- Battery management tech, Tesla is able to manage the temperature, charge, discharge, etc to maximize performance, life of the pack, etc. No battery fires so far. Cheapest cost/KW-hr. Both Toyota and Daimler liked it.
- Supercharger technology - Do not see anybody with this tech. Once they get a nationwide network, it will drive demand. Wanna bees will have to build their own network. Kind like iTunes and App Store for Apple.
- The induction motor of MS got to have the highest output for its size and weight. I have dealt with these kinds of motors and they are big and heavy. 416 HP and the size of a watermelon.
- Inverter - It is a very compact and powerful computer controlled inverter. Very unique for the output.
- Auto electronics - Very intuitive. Try using the system that Mercedes S550 uses... big fat books.
- Design - Tesla used a unique battery placement. It will take time to copy, including use of Al.
- Image - Yes image, brand!
These moats will eventually be overcome. By that time, Tesla will have achieved the critical mass.
All that is you mentioned is spot on but Same components can be used by competitors and Battery Thermal Management is only key advantage here but Software tweaks can catch up.
Superchargers are a commodity
Fukuta Electric & Machinery Co. in Taiwan has collaborated with Tesla Motors on the development of a copper rotor induction motor for Tesla’s electric Roadster. And the Tesla Model S, the all electric family sedan that will be introduced this year, also has a copper rotor induction motor. We believe copper rotor induction motors are superior to permanent magnet motors for these reasons:
High efficiency motors with copper rotors are more economical.
Copper rotors enable the design of super premium efficiency motors.
Motors with copper rotors are more compact.
Copper motor rotors offer flexibility to motor manufacturers.
Copper motor rotor technology is more established.
Where they gonna charge the vehicles for long trips? Tesla Supercharging stations are exclusively for tesla autos and any licencees who might purchase the technology to be used in their vehicles( eg Benz or Toyota). Key here is if they want it they have to buy it. Why re-make the wheel.. just offer to buy Tesla for say $175. / share!!
they have a lot of patents on their technology, like the battery and the handles for the doors.
also, once the supercharging stations are in place, it willl be huge advantage for Tesla. Tesla's design team is excellent too