You are probably right. And if price is irrelevant then you should buy. But most investors still like to feel that they are purchasing stock at a 'fair' price, and in my case I at least need to know what the secondary price will be before making my decision to buy---which I will be doing to restore my full position after selling 75% of it over the past week on the runup. If the offering price is $40, $42, or $37.50 that will definitely have an effect on my decision and timing. Unfortunately for all of the investors that bought in the last couple of days the company has just handed them a nice 'paper' loss--at least for the short term by devaluing their shares due to the small dilution---the next outrage could come if the offering price is in the mid 30's. They have to come out with the prospectus and then we'll fing out.
Secondaries are priced pretty much at the current trading price. So, DDD is letting the market determine what price they should offer the secondary at. Obviously, the market spoke today. DDD announced that the offer price will be disclosed at the close of trading tommorow. Whatever, we close at tommorow, will be roughly what the offering price will be. As it stands now, it looks like we will be up tommorow. Therefor, the offering price will be roughly $44 plus dollars (unless we sink tommorrow). But, a company never sets an offering price well below the last days trade price. I've never seen that happen and it would make no sense to offer shares for less than what the market is willing to pay.