Fri, Sep 19, 2014, 9:52 PM EDT - U.S. Markets closed

Recent

% | $
Quotes you view appear here for quick access.

Tidewater Inc. Message Board

you are viewing a single comment's thread.

view the rest of the posts
  • wheizer wheizer Mar 29, 2001 4:20 PM Flag

    Geez...

    To trade swings you need to trade more than 5% swing to accept the risk. I swing trade stocks in which I have a good core holding and watch fairly closely. A low P/e is a must. I was waiting until TDW was under $45 for a swing trade to $51 which if successful is a 13% return. I would not look to swing trade for less than 10% - usually I look for 15-20%. You have to be patient. Your best play now is to buy in now same amount as your original purch and then sell your original purch once the stock gets back up to breakeven. Don't be greedy and try to hit both purch at 51+. Swing trading is different mindset than long term investing. I know from experience. LOL

    SortNewest  |  Oldest  |  Most Replied Expand all replies
    • Thanks for the advice. TDW was indeed a core holding, and one I thought was pretty stable. I didn't see that it would rise much above 50 anytime soon, but was just about certain it wouldn't drop off any cliff--even a little one, which is of course what happened. Thus, I thought this was a safe way to make a little money. For various reasons (wasn't hitting new highs on high volume, bearish on the market in general, high institutional ownership, high PE (historically speaking, anyway)) I didn't figure on a breakout, and so I did sell. But as it was a stock I wouldn't have minded keeping in my portfolio under these market circumstances, I thought I could play around a little, so bought back in. Baaad idea...ah, well, I'm out now, at 43.71. I will keep my eyes on TDW, as I really like the company, and may buy back in if it gets into the 30's. As for the trading: lesson learned, hopefully! Tc

      • 1 Reply to TECHNICIUM
      • I have suggestion for both core and swing trade - International Rectifier IRF. Warning - they announce earnings on Apr 26th and have NOT warned as of this point. Hard to imagine that there is a semi co that has not warned - this one IS IT. This qtr will probably be OK but its hard to imagine that they give upward guidance for next qtr. Their guidance the last 2 qtrs was "We have already booked 80% of the current qtr rev". I will be pleasantly surprised if they say that again.

        Added bonus is their msg board on Yahoo - the alltime best. Wish they could all be like this one.

        Anyway my suggestion would be to do some good DD - post as newcomer on their board and follow the advice you receive; wait till after earnings announcement. If good buy after pullback from runup or if bad wait til bottom and buy there.

        Presently for swing trading - anything below 35 is great - probable move to 45 possible 50+. Missed out this time - moved up 5 points today to 39. Forgot to mention it is rather volatile(sp?). Good luck

        Another piece of unsolicited advice - I can't believe you sold TDW at $43.71. If you have the right stock ( which I believe both TDW and IRF are the "right" stocks) and there aren't any fundamental changes why did you sell at a loss? If purchased right at a low p/e below its normal trading range, it will go back up. It's a matter of timing. Believe in yourself.

 
TDW
44.23-0.72(-1.60%)Sep 19 4:03 PMEDT

Trending Tickers

i
Trending Tickers features significant U.S. stocks showing the most dramatic increase in user interest in Yahoo Finance in the previous hour over historic norms. The list is limited to those equities which trade at least 100,000 shares on an average day and have a market cap of more than $300 million.