"...On June 16, the coroner found that Mr. Hughes had died May 21 of an overdose of alcohol and a toxic level of doxepin, an antidepressant. His blood alcohol level was 0.21 percent..." From The New York Times, August 12, 2000.
The founder died from internal bleeding. He was found with a funnel in his #$%$. The funnel was half full of formula 1. It is believed that an unhappy distributor finally found a way to get rid of his inventory, and help others in the process. He also earned volume points.