These 6 items are for discussion. They all have merit, and need to be considered in combination.
1. More armed guards in schools
2. More and better care to the mentally ill
3. No automatic and semi automatic weapons (except police & military)
4. No multiple clips with more than 3 bullets (except police & military)
5. Life sentences for using a semi-automatic or automatic weapon in a crime
6. A crackdown on all potential terrorist
The largest part of the puzzle is the NRA. They have been the "heart and soul" of the GOP, so no improvement in gun tragedies is possible without their blessing. At the moment, they are not being very helpful, but that could change with new leaders.