Fri, Sep 19, 2014, 12:05 PM EDT - U.S. Markets close in 3 hrs 55 mins

Recent

% | $
Quotes you view appear here for quick access.

Avid Technology, Inc. Message Board

  • denver_art denver_art May 23, 2002 11:46 PM Flag

    Did MSFT leave Avid holding the bag?

    Every Avid investor should read this http://
    www.theregister.co.uk/content/7/25227.html
    Art

    SortNewest  |  Oldest  |  Most Replied Expand all replies
    • Durring last conf. call David Krall (CEO)stated that MSFT no longer owned any shares of Avid. One of the current Institutional investors bought all their shares in a private sale. Also Avid paid off MSFT the last $13m early, in first Qtr., so MSFT is fully out. Currently Institutions own approx. 80% of all outstanding stock of Avid, that leaves 20% for market activity without institutional action. In my opinion with institutions holding so many voteing shares, if they don't like what they see in Avid they can change it any time.

    • Refer to MSFT filing on 2-14-2002.

      Unless they have sold it off and their warrant they still have a position that is large enough to be important.

      If you have info on sales after that point, or on the 2-14 filing, I would appreciate it, not really great at interpreting SEC forms.

      Cal

    • If Microsoft sells stolen code with the knowledge that the code is stolen to a buyer (AVID), then Microsoft is legally responsible for all damages, not the buyer of the stolen code. Before Microsoft sold the code to AVID, Microsoft legally attested to AVID that Microsoft had legal title to the entire code.

      Denver-art, the answer to your question is AVID is not holding the bag! Microsoft is holding the bag if Microsoft originally stole the code, and sold the stolen code to AVID. In fact, AVID as well as other parties can sue Microsoft for damages if Microsoft sold stolen code to AVID!

      The referenced article "does not suggest" in any way that AVID did anything illegal however it does suggest that Microsoft did something illegal.

      The guilty party is Microsoft not AVID if Microsoft sold stolen code to AVID!

      • 1 Reply to Maple_Leaf17
      • Denver-art, the answer to your question is AVID is not holding
        the bag! Microsoft is holding the bag if Microsoft originally
        stole the code, and sold the stolen code to AVID. In fact, AVID
        as well as other parties can sue Microsoft for damages if
        Microsoft sold stolen code to AVID!

        The referenced article "does not suggest" in any way that AVID
        did anything illegal however it does suggest that Microsoft did
        something illegal.

        The guilty party is Microsoft not AVID if Microsoft sold stolen
        code to AVID!
        --------------------
        Of course, but the question that I was getting at is; Now that Avid knows the code is not "clean", do they have to re-enginer the code base? Do they owe moneys on the product sales from the time they bought it? Or do they need to tackle MSFT for misrepresenting the S/W when they sold it?

        These are questions going forward because Avid has put a sizable investment in SoftImage to date.
        Art

 
AVID
10.50+0.16(+1.55%)11:48 AMEDT

Trending Tickers

i
Trending Tickers features significant U.S. stocks showing the most dramatic increase in user interest in Yahoo Finance in the previous hour over historic norms. The list is limited to those equities which trade at least 100,000 shares on an average day and have a market cap of more than $300 million.