What's the downside risk for CUR due to STEM patent infringement?
This question is for long time holders of CUR. I see constant posters talking about patent infringement and a pending case, but I can't decipher it. What's the real scoop? And what could the potential downside risk be to CUR? I'm trying to factor that into my target price. Thanks.
There were several claims and counterclaims, and they have all been consolidated in front of one judge in the USDC in Maryland. CUR does not even consider the pending case(s) to be material, based on their SEC filings. In April 2012 CUR brought a motion claiming that STEM lacked standing to even prosecute the claims, based on an argument that an earlier co-inventor of the patents at issue still retained ownership (which he licensed to CUR). The court stayed all the proceedings pending discovery on this issue. The additional discovery has been going on for 1.5 years.
If you want more on this curious standing argument involving Canadian researchers, click on my name and look at some of my posts from early September. Following this litigation is my humble contribution to this conversation.