BEIJING - China's safety watchdog said Monday it will no longer approve new coal mines that do not meet production capacity requirements in 2013 in order to ensure work safety.
High-gas coal mines with an annual production of less than 300,000 tonnes, as well as coal and gas outburst mines with an annual production of less than 450,000 tonnes, will not be approved, the State Administration of Work Safety said.
Last month, the administration put rules into effect that hold coal mine managers accountable for protecting their workers' lives. Managers are required to have proper operation licenses and provide better ventilation.
In 2012, 1,384 people were killed in coal mine accidents, declining from 1,973 in 2011. Most of the accidents occurred in small coal mines.
This is why I’m usually skeptical of these Chinese policy announcements:
Jul 5, 2011 en.sxcoal Edited by Harry Huo
China will stop approving construction of high gas coal mines with annual production capacity below 300 thousand tonnes in the 12th five year plan, according to a circular jointly drafted by the State Administration of Work Safety and the National Development and Reform Commission last week.
Meanwhile, approval over coal mine with gas outburst and annual capacity below 450 thousand tonnes will also be stopped, the circular said.
In the second half year, the Chinese government will conduct a special inspection on high gas and gas outburst coal mines already approved to construct.
Note the publication date; this would have originally been issued in June of 2011.