I agree that the change in short interest over the past few months is minor. I think that this data indicates that the Shorts are not the main controlling factor.
I posted earlier that there are 8 institutions with large holdings in ELNK. It seems that they are trading between themselves. The share price may have more to do with tax loss selling than anything else.
So just on yahoo which these #s are pretty close... lets look at it for a moment per below and here on yahoo in key stats. So about 88% is held by institution/insiders that leaves 12% of the stock to trade hands by investors or commoners and 7.6% or over half of the shares able to trade hands are being shorted on this thinly traded stock, but u think they have no influence on the stock.
Food for thought....
% Held by Insiders1: 1.62%
% Held by Institutions1: 85.90%
Short % of Float (as of Jan 31, 2014)3: 7.60%