As you know, labor and unionized workers are under attack throughout the country. We stand today at the brink of an all out war. Those that initiated this war chose to forget labor’s great accomplishments such as public education, the 8 hour work day, child labor laws, social security, Medicare, health and safety on the job.
In areas such as health care, we have faced many struggles and made many sacrifices. In fact, when we first proposed it to AT&T and New York Telephone, they refused outright, saying that they would never agree to socialized medicine. Does that sound familiar?
The Supreme Court recently ruled that corporations are no longer limited in what they spend to influence politics and politicians, while unions are still severely restricted. the Republican right wing have unlimited resources to press their attacks!
• Ohio is seeking to stop union dues;
• Utah is seeking to do away with seniority, and allowing the administrators to institute merit pay;
• Wyoming, where the first public union came into being in 1932, workers have been stripped of their collective bargaining rights;
• Sacramento, California wants to strip workers of the right to bargain on pensions;
• Missouri is trying to become a right-to-work state;
• Maine has been considering right-to-work laws;
• Michigan’s pensions, seniority, bargaining rights, and arbitration rights are under attack. In fact, in Pontiac, Michigan, an administrator simply voided an entire contract; and
• As close to home as New Jersey, a battle is being waged to take away the right to bargain on health care!
While unions are under attack for being greedy and demanding too much, we don’t hear a word about executive compensation. In 1965 CEO’s were making 24 times what their workers made. By 2005 it was up to 262 times and is even higher today…yet we’re greedy!
Ivan Seidenberg made $24.31 million last year alone, his five year total is $70.28 million…
NOW THAT’S GREED!
you guys are so smart but you continually suck on verizon's tit and can't do anything wthout vz. If you have all the answers, start your own co. and run it as you see fit. grow up!
My money's on that there is already an agreement pretty much penned. Neither side can look like a "sell out," which is why this posturing will go on for some time. Its funny, I only come to this message board every three years from late June through August and the things I read on here get quite interesting.
Yeah, Don't forget to charge up your sawzall so when you crawl down in the hole you can cut every cable that goes to hospitals, firehouses, and police stations. Oh, don't forget about the disabled people who have their life-lines on their phones. Yeah, you guys are sweethearts. Make sure you mark the power cables. Don't want you to go up in smoke. And you wonder why unions are disappearing...........
If it is copied and pasted...does it make the message any different? The president of The U.S.A gives speeches that he himself does not write. What is you point? I am not saying I am for or against the message, just trying to figure out what your point is.