Report to shareholders for the period ended December 31, 2012
February 5, 2013
Suncor Energy reports fourth quarter results
All financial figures are unaudited and presented in Canadian dollars (Cdn$) unless noted otherwise. Production volumes are presented on a working-interest basis, before
royalties, unless noted otherwise. Certain financial measures referred to in this document are not prescribed by Canadian generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP). For a
description of these non-GAAP financial measures, see the Non-GAAP Financial Measures Advisory section in this Report to Shareholders (this document). See also the Advisories
section of this document.
• Operating earnings (1) of $1.000 billion ($0.65 per common share) and a net loss of $562 million ($0.37 per common
share). Net loss includes an after-tax impairment charge of $1.487 billion for the Voyageur upgrader project.
• Cash flow from operations(1) of $2.235 billion ($1.46 per common share).
• Average Oil Sands segment production of 378,700 barrels per day (bbls/d). Total average production of 556,500 barrels of
oil equivalent per day (boe/d).
• Refining and Marketing caps record year for earnings and cash flow from operations, benefiting from lower feedstock cost
from Suncor’s Oil Sands operations.
• Sanction of the Hebron project offshore Newfoundland and Labrador.
• Firebag complex achieves 72% production growth from the fourth quarter of 2011. Stage 4 final project costs anticipated
to be approximately 15% below budget.