DEVASTATING NEWS FOR INTEL !!!!!!
THIS IS THE HIGH MARGIN STUFF !
THIS CAN"T BE GOOD NEWS FOR INTEL CAN IT ?
"SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - Hewlett Packard Co unveiled plans to develop extremely low-energy servers, partnering with companies such as chip designers ARM Holdings Plc and Advanced Micro Devices Inc in a move that could threaten the dominance of Intel Corp.
Explosive growth in data centers that drive the Internet is taking up increasing amounts of electricity and tech companies are looking for ways to make servers more efficient and trim their energy bills.
HP, at an event at its research center in Palo Alto, said the effort, dubbed "Project Moonshot," aimed to find an alternative to the massive computing infrastructure needed to support the Web and billions of mobile devices.
The Silicon Valley giant is working with Austin-based start-up chipmaker Calxeda -- which uses the ARM technology in its microprocessors -- to create servers aimed at companies running large-scale remote computing operations such as Twitter and Facebook. ARM is an investor in Calxeda.
The new servers will significantly reduce both power and space requirements, Paul Santeler, vice president of HP's Hyperscale business within its server division said.
HP's first Calxeda-based pilot server platforms will be available in the first half of next year, Santeler said, but did not reveal when HP expects to sell the production version.
Energy-efficient chips made using ARM technology are widely used in tablets and smartphones and ARM executives have said they want to make them popular for personal computers and corporate servers too.
British chip designer ARM last week unveiled its first 64-bit architecture, which it said would expand its reach into enterprise applications such as servers currently dominated by Intel.
As well as chip designers, HP's program will include storage, networking and software companies
repeat for you:
"ARM servers will get NO traction till 64-bit... "
Is this another Wallis id ??
I'll put you on IGNORE immediately if you are...
I'm believing I've been duped into wasting my time..
Get over yourself. Anyone that spends 10 minutes with you can tell you are a dork, not just Wally. You hate Intel and spend day and night on the Intel board.........amazing existence pal. I feel sad for you, Bye Bye
Intel estimates that the microserver market will be approximately 10 percent of the overall server market by 2015. And they estimate that Xeon will garnish 75 percent of this market. That leaves 25 percent of 10 percent for others such as ARM's 64-bit processors. That's 2.5 percent. In a market projected to increase by at least 100 percent in five years, Intel is not overly concerned with the 2.5 percent that might go to ARM.
And that includes the HP share...
In the HP press release, HP also indicated they would be building Intel Atom versions of their low power line as well as ARM.
So the HP part of the 2.5% market will be divided between ARM and Atom.