Now Tesla and Elon are the Fireman. they covered this up for a month and release it on a friday?!?!?! You joking?
Tesla Motors Inc. (TSLA), the electric-car maker being reviewed by U.S. regulators over battery-related fires, said its Model S and charging system didn’t cause a fire in a Southern California garage last month.
While there was a fire at the wall socket where the vehicle was plugged in, the car itself wasn’t burned, Palo Alto, California-based Tesla said in e-mailed comments. Investigators can’t conclude whether the fire started in the wall socket or was caused by the charger, and found it had nothing to do with the battery, Steve Concialdi, a spokesman for the Orange County Fire Authority, said by phone yesterday.
Shares of Tesla, led by billionaire Elon Musk, have plunged more than 25 percent from this year’s peak in September after three reports of battery-related fires in the Model S in October and November. The U.S. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration opened an inquiry Nov. 19 after the last fire.
“The cable was fine on the vehicle side; the damage was on the wall side,” Tesla said of the garage fire. “Our inspection of the car and the battery made clear that neither were the source” of the fire, it said.
Tesla’s comments came after Reuters said yesterday, citing a report by the Orange County Fire Authority, that the Nov. 15 fire in Irvine, California, may have been caused by an overheated charging system for the Tesla vehicle.
Photographer: Patrick T. Fallon/Bloomberg
A Tesla Motors Inc. Model S vehicle is charged at company's design studio in Hawthorne, California.
The Orange County Fire Authority has completed its investigation and will leave it to Tesla and insurance companies to make a determination on the cause of the fire, Concialdi said. Fire damage to the wall socket makes it difficult to determine whether the cause was faulty wiring, he said.
A public safety issue by a company underwritten by the US taxpayer, managed by a part time CEO who paid himself $73mm is a better theme for a movie. Spoiler alert: People to to jail, my friend. Investigations, lawsuits, a cascade of litigation and media coverage which will begin this weekend....cnbc will run the story monday.
" While there was a fire at the wall socket where the vehicle was plugged in, the car itself wasn’t burned, Palo Alto, California-based Tesla said in e-mailed comments. Investigators can’t conclude whether the fire started in the wall socket or was caused by the charger, and found it had nothing to do with the battery"
Of course it had everything to do with the battery. It the car didn't need to be recharged (due to the fact it runs on batteries) then there wouldn't have been a fire. Wonder how many other electrical devices have been hooked to that outlet. Did the house catch on fire when the owners plugged in their vacuum or their weed eater? Probably not. But there is no relationship to the car and fire. "Let me be perfectly clear about that."