Marqibo received a 7-4 recommendation from the FDA panel today. As many know, Tekmira's technology fules Marqibo and its approval would generate a 10 million royalty payment. Things are looking good! Watch for a bump in TKMR share price as this is 1/3rd of Tekmiras market cap It looks like possibly some automatic sell orders were filled today before people had the chance to react.
Tekmira's falling share price may also reflect the market's concern over no announcement of results of its Phase 1 RNAi trial. Results were promised for the 1st qtr. Is management going to wait until the last day of the month, and if so, why? Didn't they meet expectations? Perhaps they just failed to exceed expectations, and we'll get a milk-toast "safe and well-tolerated" report, with no indication of efficacy. I have to think these results have been in management's hands for some time, since they were originally promised for the 4th qtr. I'm hoping for the best, but I'm getting a bad feeling about this long, drawn-out process. It could be they are waiting to simultaneously release the National Cancer Institute's Phase 1 trial results of the same RNAi drug, different delivery, but I doubt that's the case; government sponsored trials take forever.
Cancer trials can take many months, if not years, to show benefit, especially with slow enrollment, and small numbers. And of course the first part with dose escaltion will probably show no benefit at all.
I'm also pretty sure mgmt is not in a rush to move this forward quickly because 1) they don't have the money 2) litigation is taking up their time and money 3) they want to learn from this trial and are probably already working on a next generation of this drug