1) There is no hype on ABT. Who is hyping it. I have not seen anything of that sort.
2) Dividend yield is awesome and dividend keeps getting raised every year.
3) p/e is 10, very low for a company of this quality.
4) the split up is being done for a simple reason...the shares do not reflect fair value. There is no other reason to do it. As such, you should buy now. After the split up, the juice will be priced into each of the pieces.
5) ABT shares are moving up because investors see the low valuation, great track record, awesome dividend yield and are calculating that the parts will be valued at levels much greater than the whole. Stock should be at $70 now at minimum.
Total nonsense. This laggard has been at 58 level fourteen times in the past 5 years. It will go down again. No amount of manipulation and hype can help it. As for P/E, last i checked it's almost 20, not 10. In the past 5 years I witnessed all sorts of wishful thinking being confused with reality. By repeating ad nauseam that this laggard is worth 70 or more does not make it so. Pure nonsense!
If I was going to buy more Abt stock I'd probably buy after the split-up. I think there will be (and current is) some "hype" before the split-up which will cause it to be priced high. After the hoopla is over it should return to its true valuation. Just before the split might be a good time to sell the stock, buy puts or sell covered calls. I'm not selling calls now because I think it will continue to go up in anticipation of the split-up.