I sold my CEG about 1 hour and 15 minutes after I bought it for $26.40. That is my all time shortest holding period. My reasoning was that I was going to get $26.50 from Berkshire in probably 6 to 9 months. Why not take $26.40 today and avoid the risk. Apparently the market thought Electricite de France would make a higher offer.
Looks like you might have done very well with ORI and ANAT if you still have them.
I made a real blunder selling part of my BRKB but partly made up for it with CEG.
Good luck on your CEG. Do you intend to hold on until the merger, or are you looking to take a short-term gain on an increase in price?
I don't have a clue about what EDF will do but I am pretty confident that Berkshire will do what Buffett says. I would dearly love for CEG to drop to $22 again so I could reload but I do not expect that to happen. I will keep watching.
My order to buy CEG at $25.50 was a day order and it expired. Today I placed a new order at $25 and it was executed at that price. So now we can be a tag team and trade this cookie to our hearts content. If it goes down to $24.50, I will double down and if it goes above $26.50 I may sell. Come on EDF, make a bid at $35.00.
Over the years I have noticed that some big dividend paying stocks have a tendency to rise around the dividend payment date. I suspect this is because of the re-investment of dividend payments by dividend re-investment plans (DRIPS). CEG fits that description and it has a dividend payment date on October 1, 2008. Accordingly, I have entered a GTC sell order at $27. I don't have any inside information and I am not telling you what to do. It is just a suggestion and it may or may not happen. Good luck.
I am assuming that the dividends will continue at the current rate. That is part of the belief that makes it look like a good investment. However, I do not know if it will happen. I assume that you saw that Berkshire bought $1,000,000,000 of preferred stock from CEG that provided cash to CEG to help with their short-term financing situation.