There is a lot of information and talking going on at the moment, so it is important to put things in perspective and try to remove a certain amount of emotion. We can do this by setting the facts out there and building from there.
1) POSC recently presented at MedAxiom in Washington DC. The MedAxiom Spring Conference targets 5400 physicians covering 45 states with approximately 65% of current attendees being CEO’s and other high-level administrators, and the other 35% being cardiologists.
2) Recent changes in reimbursements for PET and SPECT imaging have created an additional market for the Attrius on top of the need for better cardiovascular imaging.
"This fee schedule states that Myocardial PET perfusion imaging was increased 20% to $1,432.87 per study. The Schedule also states that Cardiovascular SPECT reimbursement for outpatient cardiology practices billing under CPT codes has been reduced by 36%."
3- SPECT imaging is in trouble because world shortage of the Molybdenum-99. Cardiac PET uses Rubidium-82 and possibly flurpiridaz, or F18. This opens up expanded use of PET scanners and studies have shown higher resolution using these agents over SPECT agents.
4- PET scanners made by POSC will compete due to price-point. PET-CT machines typically cost upwards of $2 million, while the Attrius will be nearly half that cost. They are also aiming at getting these into private practices, not just imaging centers and large hospitals.
5- They recently won the Frost & Sullivan award, 2010 North American New Product Innovation Award in Cardiac Molecular Imaging Systems. This is significant since Frost & Sullivan is a global research organization of 1,800 analysts and consultants who monitor more than 300 industries and 250,000 companies.