It was a sealed pre-cut fruit bowl with safety seal on it prepared somewhere else but ultimately Costco sold it. Point is you can get sick anywhere and from anything.
I had a buddy in NYC get severe food poisoning at a Ruby Tuesdays salad bar just 2 months ago. He nearly died from it. Did you hear about that all over the news? Probably not.
1000's of people get sick every day from food poisoning at restaurants. You just hear about Chipotle because they traded off the better quality food mantra. Made for a juicy story for media. That will fade however and people are already returning
Yes Chipotle should have had safety protocols and didn't. Ells and Moran should be giving back the 200M plus they raked from the shareholders personally for failing to operate properly. Procedures are now in place as they overcompensate for previous shortfalls. This will serve them well in the future.
I think the board and senior management need to go and bring in some seasoned operators who don't cost the company 50M a year in exec comp.
Update: went to Nkrth Brunswick NJ location last night for dinner. 7:30PM. When I got there line was halfway to the door. By the time I sat down to eat it was not only to the door but past it. A constant influx of patrons flowed in keeping the line to the door during my 15 minutes there. This was another location a few months ago that was almost empty at this time.
This is now two data points for me personally witnessing. I now have a much higher level of confidence people are indeed returning and dramatically so in the last month.