* 80% of open heart surgeries are done on-pump eliminating need for Cardica device.
* PAS-port does front of heart connection and may or may not require chest to be cracked, unfortunately the chest is required to be cracked for C-Port connection on back of heart.
* CDC & Medicare will not reimburse cost of device.
* All competitors, with emphasis on the word all, have pulled their devices off market (J&J, Guidant, Stryker etc).
* 50% of Cardica heart products are sold in Japan and its 100% PAS-port only, Japan cracks the chest to do hand sewing on back of heart connection.
* Cool technology, sure, but they have a 100% market share and its a small and declining market size.
* Intuitive Surgical wants to sell robots not razor blades. Since the Flex-A device was approved in April 2007, Intuitive has sold zero robots to heart surgery centers. The heart surgeries so far performed with a robot have been with loaned robots from the prostate and joint replacement departments. You still have to crack the chest to do the back side connection with the robot, except for TECAB procedures which are
They filed a $100M shelf offering allowing them to easily raise any amount of money regardless of the share price or shares sold for the next 2 years. Sales forces and manufacturing capacity are expensive. Major dilution coming and coming again.