"Perhaps I learned that gov'ts remain corrupt and people are not as smart as they tell you they are."
"It is very possible, very soon imo. When this trades with its peers after confidence is restored, then 90,100,110..."
Matt has this dream of breaking even.
"3) who was surveyed?,4) how many surveyed? 5) I suspect one person surveyed and that one person was the editor."
Wrong as usual. 48 of the usual suspects surveyed (analysts, economists, and whatever you want to call Dennis Gartman). Their names and remarks are included with the survey results.
"This tells me that things are about to go from 30's to 60's folks!"
Always fun when the people who bought over 100 pretend to be Nostradamus.
"Speculating on when is pointless, and speculating on 'if' is stupid."
That is one well constructed sentence!
"Glad I stepped out of the game at that time, but at 25-26-27, I had to stick a few toes back in the water."
More than toes will be underwater in the weeks ahead, imo.
"then back to $35 where we were when Jack Stepped in."
That's frogman's way of telling us what price he needs to break even.
"Is it not likely that, considering the drop, the momentum is going to swing the other direction at some point soon?"
I don't think so. Momentum usually doesn't swing that fast after a collapse, there is a substantial period of basing. And stocks rarely bottom with so many giddy retail bargain hunters loaded up.
" virtually ALL willing or unwilling seller's have or will be sold out by the weekend...or worst case during the day Monday 4/18"
I seriously doubt that. Way too many giddy retail dip buyers at this point. Lows do not look like that.
Rails has been wrong about the banks (loved them in the fall of 2007!), BTU (bought it all the way down from $120), and the past winter (said stores in the northeast would run out of snowblowers by the end of October).
Now we should believe him as he claims 2% of scientists have 'busted' the other 98%? Sure thing.
"Solar Power causes global warming and EMF sensitivity issues. will be litigated out of existence in 20 years. Wind Power is killing too many Eagles, will also be cut back."
How cute! The guy who has been wrong about every single thing he has ever said here or on any other board thinks he can see decades into the future. Seriously, adorable.
"The world has shrunk since the 1950's."
And that's why your original point about the 1950s didn't work. You picked out an aspect of the 50s that you happen to like while conveniently ignoring all other variables.
"Using a model from the 1950's, few ppl had college degrees and those ppl made more money. In many cases those ppl would make more money with or without the degree."
Unions were way stronger in the 1950s, and with that the percentage of GDP that went to labor was much higher.
"In a BK they would be sold and the investors would get the profits of the sale."
No, the creditors do. Investors get zero.
"St. Lawrence Seaway has melted, ships are now transiting, but was late again this year opening up."
No it wasn't.
"The herding is done though by those who spin the news into whatever benefits whoever pays them."
They're paid for clicks. So they just want to generate content, quickly. If it seems like people are clicking on bullish stuff a lot, they will put bullish headlines out there. If it seems like people are clicking on bearish stuff a lot, they will put doomsday headlines up. Whatever's working from minute to minute.
"Don't you think there is some connection from media outlet owners to bankers to politicians to economists to ...?"
I think the media wants ratings, clicks, etc. NBC Nightly News will have "NO END IN SIGHT TO MARKET ROUT" right at the lows not because they're trying to trick everyone, but because it's the popular mindset of the moment. Know who else says that stuff at the lows? Message board posters. Because they have been reamed for however many weeks or months.
Sometimes in the heyday of the mass media there's no doubt that individual outlets buried stories in deference to big advertisers or threats of legal action, or when the network owner thought it would hurt a subsidiary. But I believe conspiracy theories, even loose ones, give supposed conspirators too much credit. Most people are just trying to get through the day.
MarketWatch is just doing the standard 'connect the market move to the news story'. They're trying to pump out content, not part of some grand conspiracy.