I have been looking at my modest portfolio and looking to add to some of my positions lately...POT was not one that I was seriously thinking of adding to b/c of adds at 32 not all that long ago. However, today in the midst of a big sell-off POT held up very well. I think that if the bigger holders were holding today than that is a signal that it is 'safe' to add. I'm not going to go crazy but I am going to add on weakness over the next week or two. Thoughts? Thanks, B
Lol...my recommendation may be a bit late but I would say to have some limit buys set for huge dips like the one at the open today. I hear you though....we are getting to the point that oil is a must buy. For any long term investor I think it is already a must buy with regard to the commodity prices but these equities still have room to go down. Either way though, buying SLB (or any high quality big cap oil) at these levels is going to pay off. Whether or not it is in the next year or so....probably not but not many will be lucky enough to buy the bottom which are the only ones who will get the immediate gains. Buy incrementally with the intention of having money left even after the downturn ends.....for sleeping purposes. In the Marine Corps we had a rule that said you never put on your last layer...no matter how cold it got. It was to keep you mentally strong....same applies here too. Best of Luck, B
Well.....I can take the rest of the week off. Made 30/sh in the time I made my coffee....that was the best coffee I have ever had. Happy day!!!!
I am buying...I'll admit I am not going hand over fist but yes....I am buying on weakness. Could oil drop in the near term? Sure. Will I buy more if it does? Sure. I guess I will back up the truck if oil were to go below 30....but I don't think it will.....but I would be happy if it did.
Great call......I am looking to get into the stock....I will am waiting for this little rip to cool off as all have this summer. Just wondering if you were considering getting back in or if you already were back in the name? Thanks, B
I do hope that the longs realize this....SLB is all set. Not going anywhere....'To big to fail' if you will.....So the bottom line is that as we sit and collect dividends at these lower levels which isn't a bad thing, and the smaller players go under, SLB gains market share. Not that I am wanting to see businesses/jobs lost to this downturn b/c I don't....but it's happening and going to continue. All I can say is DRIP that dividend and on the larger pullbacks in the share price buy. I do think there will be a 'whoosh bottom' at some point that will signal the turn. Don't know when but it will come eventually....have some buying power so its a good thing for you and not a stressful event. GL, B
You aren't doing it correct. I will walk you through the steps...grab a calculator. First, the poster was clear to say that he was talking about 'cost basis' so I am not accounting for only the original position (which may be where the confusion is coming from)...anyway...using your numbers, he invests 10,000 and is paided 3,599 in dividends...you do not add the 3,599 you subtract it because this isn't a cost added to your 10,000 (though some can dispute this b/c you are taking what could have been given to you in cash). So now the 'cost basis' is 6,401...divide that by the value of the 'original shares' and you see that he is up 137%. I tend to think that if his account is showing this than he isn't DRIPing his shares. Who knows though. I just read my last post and I'm sorry for coming off as a jerk. Not cool on my part. Hope we are on the same page now. Enjoy the rest of your day. B
You can't just subtract percentages. Wow, going back to pre-algebra here. Simple example, I have a $100/sh cost and the stock goes down 25% to $75/sh....Then goes back to $100/sh which is a 33.3% increase....would you have gained 8.3%?? No...though it'd be nice. Come on egybuyer....this isn't rocket science, if the guy says he's up roughly 40% just believe him, and if you don't put him on ignore....but don't embarrass yourself.
Take a look at the income statement and balance sheet. UPL isn't going anywhere. Though I do agree with you that the debt needs to be dented.
Well, he said in the first paragraph that prices were down to 8.70/sh when in fact they were up to 8.70/sh from the lows last week. Clearly, that is false or at a minimum it is him trying to make it seem that shares trading at 8.70 is a negative when in fact there is momentum (backed with volume) to the positive near term. Not every person reading this is a close follower of the market, and many people know zero about technicals like RSI and the like....that is just the first paragraph... to say that this writer is 'LOOKING OUT' for people is laughable. Not saying he is spouting lies b/c he isn't, but there are many statements made that are dangerous to the less informed long term investor. Wouldn't you agree? Mike, I clearly don't know you but I am hoping that we can discuss this amicably from apposing viewpoints as I find that I learn more from those who disagree with me than from those who agree with me. FYI, I got long at 8.2/sh after following the stock for quite a while. I used technical analysis to buy when I did and I did buy before earnings b/c I didn't see how anything could be perceived as that negative when the stock had been as beaten as it was....clearly I was wrong and I, as a result, missed a great opportunity. B
I would love to see the divy cut and the same money go to share buyback. Retire some shares on the cheap while you can and reinstate the divy when the smoke clears. I know it'll never happen but....I'd love it to.
That is some terrible rational....you are basically saying that you do no research for yourself which should make you wonder why you are managing your own accounts. Those same analysts that you claim are so 'looking out for your best interests' as individual investors are now downgrading AAPL at 114/sh when they where recommending a buy at 130 just a couple weeks ago. While I will say that at the moment today AAPL is doing well, I still see no reason the stock doesn't test 103 area. Today is a great day to sell if you are twinkleice....
It's happening all throughout the market....There are people out there buying EVERYTHING up...litterally everything. I have never seen this before and I have been at this for awhile now. Very interesting. Someone out there clearly is betting on a turn in the overall direction in the energy sector in particular. Or I guess it could be someone covering a short position too....
seeing 8.00 and the next was 8.40???? It's been happening at different points all day long....anybody have incite as to why this is occurring? Also, who are the buyers and sellers??? Is this someone big just scooping up all orders out there? Perhaps they are orders that were pre-set...but those usually happen after the market close. I just don't get it. It's been a while since I was this stumped..interesting to say the least.
Ok, I'll agree that if someone doesn't sell and the stock comes back it is a wash...but if there are signs that certain levels are going to be tested, and you can make 5% (or in this case save the 4-9% or so depending on when you buy) and then you actually have more cash to buy those shares at 103....now those extra shares help lower the break-even level from 130/sh to perhaps 125 or whatever the size or your position is. The other reason I advocate for selling is that if and when the stock does go to 103.....you have the choice not to buy it back if you see better opportunities in the market. The risk...the stock doesn't test those levels of support that you expect it to test. For sure a concern!
Strongly recommend that you sell here and buy back the shares at say 105 or so....I think levels around 103ish will be tested but to play it on the safe side you can get them back to 105. Heck, if you get nervous buy them at 108....you save yourself 4-5% or so at a minimum!!! It's an easy move to make, look at the charts and the technicals. Either way, best of luck. To give you an idea though...I sold the when AAPL went to 119/sh a while back (at the time it was a stupidly luckily sale...I don't like holding for nice round numbers like 120), that high actually help for a while. The stock drifted back to 103 area (as I recall but I didn't buy back b/c I wasn't interested in the name but recognized the opportunity). It ended up going to it's high at 133ish...it has since gone through all levels including that 119 level. I am considering buying some at 103 if it holds....if that level doesn't hold and the stock were to go lower....LOOK OUT!!!