A sell-off doesn't make much sense to me, especially since if anything the value of the buy may go up....any thoughts on buying down here?
when my daughters were found to have food allergies Whole Foods was the only store that provided what was needed to make life 'somewhat normal'. They still are the only store in most areas in the NE that provide what we need. Before we book a vacation, we look up how far a Whole Foods is from the place we are going to stay....not because we want to, b/c we have to. That is why I bought the stock pre split days...but I am in the red today as I bought at 82 I think....which is 41 actually. Either way, I don't write this thinking the stock will move but only to defend the company which has literally allowed my children to life a better life. I will hold my shares...perhaps even add to them. B
Just buy if the selling is stupid tomorrow. Likely, the window will be short but hopefully we can snag some at 64 or so....I'm hoping so. Just remember though....this market is nuts right now....PNRA missed all over the place and the stock is being rewarded so....who knows??? But I am buying.....hopefully....
Well, it's been a while since I've done anything with BIDU....today will be interesting. It could go to 160 or right to 190. I will tell anyone that if this thing makes a move to 160 or so I will have my buy order ready. I feel for those who are selling their shares down here in the pre-market. BIDU is the GOOG of China. I have held some shares for a long time (last sold some was at 225 this time a year ago). I hope to get active here again....GL, B
I don't think nibbling is a bad idea...NIBBLING....however in the case here you may not want to be using market cap as your indicator, I personally use the enterprise value which includes the companies debt as well. Full disclosure, I have been long a small position from 27 (a few years back), and have nibbled at 21, 19, 15, and 12.25. I think I will buy more if it goes down on big volume tomorrow for a bounce back to 12-13. In that case I would sell my shares from 27. The key which my position is that all of my buys have been extremely conservative so sleeping isn't a problem YET. I would love to own at the lowest level possible for the long hull since I do not think that commodities will remain low for more than a couple of years. At the end of the day it's about not going all in and excepting the fact that the last half of my position will likely be put on once the stock has come off the bottom....where ever that may end up being. Be careful, it can go lower than anyone thinks but at the end of the day, I don't think BK is in the cards with the assets they have. GL, B
Dividend- I will say that I enjoy Abba's posts so I hope he disregards you. Perhaps you should read more of his posts and you would also enjoy / learn from them. Also, personally my biggest winners have been stocks of companies that I bought a bunch of on the way down that have then since gone way up. I personally find it very difficult to make HUGE gains from my positions in AAPL, GS, BIDU, PNRA. and so on...while I made monster gains on those names it is difficult to sit on RICH stocks that are sickly overpriced whereas me buying GE and GD back in the day....well, it's so easy to sit on hundreds of percents increases on some of those lots because the stock is EASY TO OWN. That is a term that you understand and know that your position is one that pays you to own and has been bought on the WAY CHEAP. For instance, I have recently sold GS, GD. and AKAM as they have hit the 100-150% benchmarks whereas I wouldn't even think of selling shares of GE that I bought at 7. I am hoping that POT is gonna be my next GE....But for that reason....I always am sure to have plenty of buying power which does mean that I lose on upside in a Bull Market which I have in the last 6 or so months....oh well, I'm sleeping fine. With all that said....lol...I think that an investor needs to have eggs in all baskets, ones that think like you and like Abbaman. You can't always trade on momentum as you suggest b/c eventually you get burned by a string of ...bad luck...buys or you end up spinning your wheels as you suggest Abba is doing. I think its good to have a bit of both going on. If you are still reading, know that my value added number went down in this past 15 or so minutes...lol...but I enjoyed it none the less. B
Well....that is the reason Walt. To say that demand is down, down, down, is a bit of a misguided statement as well. I agree with your sentiment as it irritates me as well but the reality of the situation is that the consumer takes it on both fronts.
Oops...aside for some spelling errors....I would want to clarify one thing....I will buy some shares not with the purpose of going long with them but to ride the bounce to the upper end of the downward trend line that we are in....I would at that time sell the shares I bought at 32. I plan to buy a pretty big chunk to fend off the RED.
Well, I've read that some of you are saying 19/sh. Logic would say that that number is coming from the 11/2008 high volume low. That seems like a good level to pick as a ground floor. The question is, will the stock really go to the ground floor? Perhaps? I personally don't think so. The 2008 low has to be considered a very 'special' time doesn't it? I admit that looking at the charts there doesn't seems to be any significant support levels BUT by looking at some technical analysis it seems unlikely that there is room for 30+% downside without a significant bounce. It selling is very close to being exhausted. After spending some time, I will be buying some stock if we have a few more days of this selling. Thoughts?
Ok, this is gonna come off as me being an AH and I'll just say 'sorry' in advance but....you say your gonna be 'shocked if it goes higher?' Isn't that what the market does to us on an almost daily basis. All I know is that this company is on the verge of going on sale....I hope it becomes a Black Friday sale but who knows....it could just as easily go back to 32 and I would be sitting around kicking myself for not adding a few shares. I do agree though, the trend does point lower. 19/sh? I don't see that at all though.....I'll look at some charts and see if I can pull a genie out...
Well, my limit just hit so I'm out.....there is a law firm which is looking into the price of 16.5/sh thinking that it is to low. With that said, it may be worth hanging on to. GL, B
The question that I have is, how long can the dollar stay strong? The printing press was running on overdrive for YEARS.....at the end of the day I am going to try and just watch. I'm sitting on my hands. The knife is falling and I am not ready to reach out and catch it HERE YET...I did nibble on FCX Friday. I am already learning my lesson there. Well, they say buy low and sell high....I also remember buying AAPL at 422/sh a couple summers ago and GS at 90/sh years back and so on and so forth....YOU BUY LOW (usually when people are convinced you are a moron) and SELL HIGH. Just sold AAPL and GS in the last month....NICE!!! Either way though....it hurts now. GL all, B
No, at a minimum you hold for 15.90/sh. Today's high will not end up being the highest it goes...though it likely won't get to 16.5 either.
For those of you who actually think FCX has a future I figured I'd write and say that I agree. I don't like buying stocks that are hitting new lows but this company isn't going anywhere. This businesses are all basically at their bottoms of what is a very cyclical sector. Because I can't call the bottom and really don't enjoy reaching for falling knives I did only nibble.
Why 170? Max pain would be lower if you ask me. I've owned this stock for quite a few years, and done well. I sold a bit at 225 last summer (a bit to early) and help the rest (avg pps around 115). I personally think that the selling is way overdone but I am sort of hoping to get that 225 sales money back into the position only at lower prices. I do think that max pain is coming for those who bought over 210...but how many levels of support will it take to bring on a max pain sort of day. I personally don't know the level...maybe 170, 160, or lower? The real question is what is the potential growth???? 250, 350, 500??? I think so. Good luck all, B
Abba- Who is a market Guru? The best you can do is have conviction and stay informed. The price from day to day is what it is and can't be relied upon to accurately reflect the value of a company UNLESS you happen to buy or sell on that particular day. The current price is depressed, I have an average pps of about 32 which is where I buy a bunch a few months back...oh well, I should have waited a bit. The question is whether to add a bit and go over-weight or look for other opportunities elsewhere? Well, as we have said many times before....people will always need to eat. GL all, B