There were about 3 million shares short at the end of October - only about 1 day's volume, if you use the last 30 days as a yardstick. During the trading days in November, there has been negligible shorting activity. So, if you're counting on a short squeeze to move this, don't. However, I believe that there'll be plenty of shortselling tomorrow.
As someone posted earlier, many here are emotionally invested In this stock. I think that for the past several weeks, the market told us that the stck is worth 24. I would have been more impressd if the stock had advanced gradually ahead of this anticipated "news", rather than popping on the last two days, which, to me suggests the small money, at work.
Pumpkin owned this stock at 4.62 and has made a lot of money on it, adding on the way up and selling on the way down at 33. I bought a smaller quantity back between 24 and 25, then added more early last week. These last shares I sold Friday ...too early in the day as it turned out, but still profitably. The only reason I'm holding my last 3,000 shares into the weekend is that I think it might get a little run on what will probably beambigous trial results. As for your patronizing remarks about mutual funds, I suspect that I've been doing this a good deal longer than you ... a good deal longer, in fact, than most of the people who run mutual funds. My advice - which I feel confident that you will ignore - is that if this rallies on Monday, sell into it. There are too many amateurs here, and if this drops, it will drop quickly.
I'm not scared either. Nor am I oblivious to the fact that when a stock runs up sharply two days before an event, it is not the work of serious investors.
"Living for 4 years when he/she should live 6 months" is a bit of a stretch. Living for 7 months when he/should live 4 months is an outside possibility. But only for a relatively small subgroup of patients. In these cases, the extra 3 months seems like less than a miracle.
I own some of this, but this stuff is sheer fantasy. The results of the glioblastoma trial, even if favorable, will not be dramatic. And, in my opinion, even if it goes on to FDA approval, the financial consequences will not be great. I will be looking to sell on Monday and reenter at a lower price next year.
Well, if you wanted a "beard" while you searched out the real next CEO of Microsoft, you couldn't do much better than Mulally. If he leaves, I will wait for a selloff, then buy more into the short covering rally.
From a site which I will not name for fear of being branded as SPAM: The 25 best-performing stocks in the Russell 1,000 for 2013 declined by an average of 5% last week. Groupon and 3DSystems each dropped by more than 13%. PCYC dropped by .03%. The only one of the 25 which held up better was NuSkin, which was up .57%. (And is really being driven by a continuing short squeeze.) Which confirms my belief that most of the trading in this stock is phony. It's remarkable how even a fairly modest buy order below the current price will support the stock. The MM's will pass it back and forth, but they're reluctant to sell it to you at these levels.
Yes, this is "the Mulally put" - big traders shorting it in anticipation of his departure. In my opinion, an overcrowded trade. I want to own lots of Ford on the day that it becomes clear he's too smart to take the Microsoft job.
As I was saying, nothing should be that easy. It's one thing to buy it for a trade because it's charging ahead. It's another thing to actually hold it into the event.
Well, there's nothing wrong with a little dose of realism, particularly if you're holding the stock for the long term. In the short term, of course, as Elon Musk has demonstrated, there's nothing like a large dose of fantasy.
I interpreted JNJ's purchase of the Aragon drug as the stick. Now let's see if they pull out the carrot. They almost have to.
Yes, looking at yesterday's action, you could have interpreted it as someone exiting a large position. More likely, it was a setup for someone looking to establish a large position. I added shares to my position yesterday and have sold them today ... apparently too early. My general feeling is that most of what passes for a trend in this market -e.g. a biotech stock selling off in the face of strong category rally - is a headfake.
I used to laugh at the eternal lament of the retail investor whose favorite stock is sinking or going nowhere: "Big guys beating the price down to get your shares cheap!" The idea that large entities would drive the price of their favored stocks down, rather than up, makes no sense. The idea that they would be able to do this in concert seems even more farfetched. Now I'm not so sure. If nothing else, they seem content to let retail investors lose patience before moving the stock up. Yesterday, I saw MDVN being sold off systematically in the face of a big biotech rally. I interpreted this as a setup for some major buying and added shares, which I have sold today ... too early, by the looks of it. (I also apparently unloaded my added CLDX too early today.) In summation, if you own a stock on the basis of a belief in their products or technology, you should be able to buy it on short term weakness. This stock always moves up toward the end of session since many are afraid to be out of it overnight. Rightfully so, I think.
I know nothing about options except that when the stock price action makes no sense, the options often provide a clue. I owned CLDX @ 4.60 and 10.95 and sold most of it at 12.40ish. I added more at 22, then watched it move up til it almost brushed 40. When it started to weaken, I sold all but a token position at 33, then tried to reenter at 30, when it seemed to stabilize. I sold these shares at a loss at 28, then went back in at 24 when it seemed to find support there. The shares I sold this morning were the shares that I bought this week in the expectation of a runup going into the weekend. My attitude is that this bet has paid off, so cash it in. Also, nothing should be that easy. I am still holding a rather modest position, hoping for good news this weekend.
They're releasing the results of the glioblastoma trial this weekend. I added some yesterday, but not sure whether to hold them into the weekend. I expect it will fall off a bit towards the close tomorrow.
..it was SNTS, just before the acquisition offer. So eerily dead, I think the arbitrageurs could be at work.
It's been evident recently - particularly via the divergence of F vs GM stock prices - that many are selling or shorting F on the premise that Mullaly will end up with the Microsoft job. I predict that he won't be offered the job - replacing a man in his 50's with a near-to-retirement man from another industry is not exactly laying out a bold new path for the future. When someone other than Mullaly becomes Microsoft CEO, this stock should advance smartly, if only on the basis of short covering.
Some time ago, I made a few points shorting REGN after a major runup - to around 66, if I recall. When that profit slipped away, one of the smartest investing decisions I've ever made was to cover my short. One of my stupidest decisions was not to go long. All of these stocks tend to plateau after a FDA approval. There seems to be some idea afoot that the separate approval for MCL somehow indicates that the CLL approval is in jeopardy. If the important holders here believed that, this would be much lower. I agree that if JNJ was to make an offer, now would be an excellent point to do so.