Have to agree. I sold NS a few years back. Didn't like management. This is a multi-billion dollar merger proposal. It appears the institutional investors like it as both stocks are holding up well. Be thankful. If you want to see an example of a multi-billion dollar merger that has go to hell, check MPLX and MWE, from mid-July to date. Yet MWE management is pressing on.
The need for future build out has been pushed by E&P likely 1-2 years. They are all cutting capex for 2016. One reason I don't trust MPLX distro. growth projections. The IDRs guaranty nothing. If they are then perhaps MPC should provide a fraction of their shares in addition to MPLX.
In my case at this point, there is nothing MWE management can do to change my vote against the merger. Semple needs to be replaced, and I look forward to that should the merger fail.
The number of outstanding units increased cutting off 0.10 cents to 3.27. Should additional units be sold prior to an approved merger, the cash payout will be adjusted downward accordingly.
Understand you point, and yes it is a conundrum. Nonetheless the market appears to hate the deal. Both unit prices continue to suffer nearing the final outcome, MPLX leading the way again. Understand the earning power effects are tough now, but we are talking about a 15+ billion dollar merger suffer like I have never seen. For the most part I have lost much confidence in Semple and company, thus began selling most of my position early on this year. Tax issues are irrelevant to me. Then to add insult to injury, they jipped the cash portion down by issuing more units just prior to the vote, how stupid is that. Many were hoping for a sweetened deal, but the opposite happened. The question is the ramifications either if merger goes through or not. If not approved, my impression is Semple and company will be cornered looking like idiots, perhaps facing a board overthrow. A likely scenario should other buyout offers have been taken. If approved, they are safe.
In sum, this is a distressed sale and function of managements conduct contrary to what they told investors from the beginning. I addition, suspect outside merger pressure from EMG and/or other shadow investor influences. It is not in best interest of long-term unit holders who assumed an investment in an independent business. We'll seen in the next few weeks how things turn out and get through that event first. I voted against the merger.
According to management, this is likely not the only sale to come. Should Midcontinent division be sold, their with only one stacked play. Two possible outcomes is then they either merge with another equivalent NE E&P outfit or they are preparing to sell the business entirely.
Considering the original deal with EQT, I would say RRC did well with this sale. EQT I recall wrote down the western assets as oil prices dove.
I would have been nice to see what was deep below perhaps with the potential of liquids and high pressure. But assuming the Marcellus, Upper Dev. and initial Utica data, it says the risk is low in these areas, and rate of return is assured. And as you said, the balance sheet is much better.
For a mega-merger. It appears the ETE-WMB merger is suffering as well. Until Q-3 data is out, my near term target for MWE is about 44, MPLX 42 assuming a short term rally.
Further downside is just bear-market MLP driven due to lack of earning power. Q-3 numbers and conference call will provide more insight.
Looks like they are taking my lead....selling off Southern Comfort and Chambord. Great news get it done and move on! Good to see management moving on this issue.