Facebook (yes, Facebook) challenges Cisco with open-source switch
* Facebook's has produced a new top-of-rack data center switch (called Wedge) and switch OS (called FBOSS) meant to run on a cheap micro server board that can easily be swapped out.
* GigaOm observes Facebook doesn't simply want cheaper hardware, but is also looking to "eliminate the network engineer and run its networking operations in the same easily swapped out and dynamic fashion as their servers."
* "Facebook stresses Wedge/FBOSS' modularity - "You could use an ARM-based microserver rather than the Intel-based microserver we've selected. Or you could take the electronics and repackage them in a new enclosure..." - and says the solution will be submitted to its Open Compute initiative, thus allowing OEMs to begin using it.
* Wedge/FBOSS are aimed squarely at Cisco (CSCO), which dominates the data center switch market (71% estimated share) with its proprietary gear. Rivals such as newly-public Arista Networks (ANET) are also in its crosshairs.
* John Chambers has already called white-label hardware - beloved not only by Facebook, but also Amazon and Google - Cisco's biggest long-term threat. Facebook's move comes shortly after JPMorgan noted sales of white-box switches rose 18.6% Y/Y in Q1, and made up 9.3% of 10-gig port shipments.
* Last year: Facebook working on new networking fabric
Nasdaq is about ytd high and FB still far from it.
FB needs an upgrade to get it above $68 so it can run. FB is inexpensive.
Longer term FB is a great investment. It became a part of our lives globally. Just like GOOGL
MarkZ has passion for what he does and will continue to change and always ahead of our needs.
When I invest in a stock. My number one priority is to look at the leader first. Great leader will ALWAYS makes changes to respond to our needs and ahead of all others. MZ is still young and Sandberg is quite a great business woman.
That is true and the reason for that is women are more objective. Men are tougher by nature so they tend to see what they set their mind to.
I like FB MB, most of people here are nice, professional. We can tell by the contents of the messages.
Thank you and take care. Good luck to you too.
I understand what you are saying but being an executive in big corporations is not easy.
There are so much competition. Not all men are good. They use every opportunity to push the women down.
I have this experience. Trust me on this.
Some are extremely nice.
Even on the yahoo MBs. Mistakely, I said I am a woman, then many attack me...abusing me.
I have my own purpose in life so I ignore the abusers.
I know another poster, she has been trying so hard to post her ideas and they abuse her in a big way.
I do not like whiners at all. unproductive but we need to be fair to all.
Things are 10000% better, but gender still matters in Corporate America. You have to be twice as smart and contribute twice as much to get ahead.
They are both good.
FSLR is cheapest in all solar stocks now.
Total cash 1.38B
Total Debt (mrq): 200.94M
SCTY has a lot of potential to support the gigafacturies
How many times did BIDU and PCLN split????
Look at Alibaba from the beginning...
Look at the population of china. What is the % of people can have access to the internet.
The a little % of people in china can afford to buy things each year is huge
I like VIPS business model because Chinese love discount...
Kobi, don't worry too much..
I was trained for one week by one the 3 MSFT musketeers.
Bill Gates Meets Alibaba’s Ma to Discuss Philanthropy
Bill Gates and Chinese billionaire Jack Ma met in Beijing to talk about charity, according to a post by the world’s richest man on Twitter today.
Read article on Bloomberg.
Nasdaq will break to new ytd high..following, catching up with SPY DIA.
guys on CNBC are mad because they are shorting like Adami..has been saying S&P to 1830..well, when market down they keep saying lower..
Need to watch closely..every time is unique,
Mad at Yellen? too bad..she loves investors and do not like the RICH hedge funds...big traders
I have been saying for a long time volalility USED to be an indicator to measure complacency..
Thinggs changed..The indicators are sosososo unpredictable so people use puts iindexes now..
Please do not discuss this....we used to use that to hedge....THINGS CHANGED....puts is much easier
wake up media..
XLU also new high
The stocks are weak today will be up tomorrow...they begin to shop now...do not worry if good stocks are in red today...
BIB...will break $88.24..it has been consolidating for over 2 weeks...
Weekly ready to go higher..just bounced from ma-40..a long way to go..high $109.74
Look for oversold sector too..FED supports market
Look at FAS for example...almost high $101.25 but rsi is low and curving up..means can go to $104 or so..look at ERX..keeps running non stop..
so many bullish charts..very bullish market..