We also ran to $7 a week or so ago on low volume. If someone wanted to buy a bunch of stock in a day or so, EVC would pop. If someone wanted to sell a bunch in a day or so it would drop........but perhaps not. I think we have someone accumulating and doesn't want to drive up the price. IMVHO they have a standing order 10-20 cents below the going price. I also believe the company steps in when it dives. I stated before that in order to transfer the licenses with FCC approval before the 2016 auction.....any buyout has to happen in next 2-3 months at the latest IMVHO. However, West Face may have other plans. Their purpose may just be to build a large position gradually without running up the price and then push for changes after EVC has a ton of cash from the auction in the bank. I am more concerned that EVC management might try to steal the company. But, in that event I think there would be higher offers made. I made over a half million trading EVC and nothing other than share price increase last few months. I don't believe any of us will ever see the big bucks (billions in spectrum), Might easily make another 25-50% by holding 6-12 months. But, I believe SD and HK will have better returns over 12-24 months. . Quite a dilemma. A strong buy under $6.50.....DaninFW
Sentiment: Strong Buy
8) Congress could lower the boom on sector in 2015 or 2016. Cable and Satellite has done great job of making broadcasters the villains.
9) EVC needs to put to bed the current retrans issue with Univision. The recent deal with Univision to add EVC radio programming says they have good relationship. Analysts don't like the uncertainty.
10) EVC needs to remove the cloud that Univision has control over their major decisions. They have said they are working with Univision on channel sharing in four or five markets but doesn't mean Univision will let them sell in other markets. Again, the uncertainty is not good.
11) There current growth plan is to buy unprofitable companies and make them profitable by maxing synergies in a year or two. Market wants acquisitions that are immediately accretive. SBGI will now make sure that top notch companies command top dollar. Analysts are quite apparently concerned if Pulpo was a good decision. Still not profitable but management is full of promises......with no credibility. Management still doesn't realize that spectrum alone could return 100 fold which makes any part of their business subject to the axe. They need to move this $15-20 million a year to share buyback to keep the price up so company isn't stolen for peanuts.
12) Having said all this points to the fact this is a great trading stock. There will be good news and bad news. In closing, I have to add, management is it's own worst enemy. They need management in this for the LT not ST. They need to get rid of the idiot that is dumping stock.......the COO.
Sentiment: Strong Buy
I have always bet on EVC because they have the weakest and worst management team in the sector. Sounds nuts but sooner or later they will get taken out more likely sooner than later. I still see an $8-10 buyout by management or another entity before the auction. The spectrum is far too valuable. There was an article yesterday where the FCC is looking to free up even more spectrum than planned in the 2016 auction because of pressure from Apple and Google. I want to share some thoughts and would request some erstwhile dialogue.
1) Many factors will drive this sector short term and long term.
2) Ala Carte offerings from new and future players are going to change the landscape. That's why sector has been out of favor as market does not like uncertainty. Changes could be good or bad for sector. Nobody truly knows.
3) Univision is a big unknown as well. Has been losing ground to Telemundo. Doing the IPO is foremost in their minds. They will do anything to window dress so as to show only their best future and current potential. That also could be good or bad for EVC.
4) 2016 political will be out of the ball park as broadcasting is still the best bang for the buck. However, market will be watching to see erosion and gravitation to other mediums.
5) More and more broadcasters are going public with their desire to sell spectrum. This increase will drive spectrum prices down as this is a reverse auction. In some markets if the FCC needs little spectrum and there are 5-6 bidding against each other......not good. But, in markets where there is great demand and few bidders.......great.
6) We should also be hearing from the Appeals Court very soon.
7) Concern for reverse retrans is way overblown. Everyone is expecting erosion in net retrans even in 2015. Isn't going to happen. Future deals will give more to the networks but the local broadcasters are going to raise rates dramatically in future deals. Continued
Sentiment: Strong Buy
Up to now we have about 11 people following the board. Last time early in February we had 20. We may yet have a few more confirm they are out there but it's probably safe to say that in the last 6-8 weeks at least 40% of the weak hands have bailed. I don't blame them. It's a great trading stock. Counting my current holdings if I sold at current price and all the trading in past 12+ months has given me over $700K profit. My USCXW's which I mentioned a few months back when they were high 2's and low 3"s are now well over 9. I should have bought more of them but do have about 72,000 now counting my USCRW's which are over 12 as well. Tripled my money with them. Hope some of you did likewise. Over $400K profit so far on them. I don't recommend buying the USCXW's now but I am holding. I believe USCR will go from $33+ to $42+ in next 6-12 months which will increase value of my warrants another $576K+/-............should make one million on the USCR warrants. I do have about $200K losses at present in my SD and HK investments. However, I am patient and intend to load up on SD and HK soon. I think oil now has more room to drop before turning around. I still see $60-65 before year end per barrel. I think SD and HK very soon will offer 3-5 times stock appreciation in next 12-24 months. Now back to EVC on another message.
Sentiment: Strong Buy
The idiot gekkonut finally really blew it. He created a new alias........"contramonger" thinking we are as brainless as he claims. He just confirmed 100% all that I have alleged for almost a year now. Contramonger just posted for the first time ever today and gave a thumbs down. Gekkonut was so upset he screwed up he had to do something. The insane thing is he took half of contra.guy and half of truth.monger and formed a new alias......"contra.monger". Give me a break. I always thought contra.guy was far too stupid to be an alias of truth.monger but obvious now that he dumbed down his postings to screw all of us while he was pumping and dumping and later bashing and buying. This lunatic is a piece of work. And when we ran off the other aliases he came up with gekko.gord which was short for Gordon Gekko who screwed all his investors. It's really been fun but I now have this new idiot alias on ignore as well. And I have to add, no question another alias is "outpissed". I wonder how many personalities the real person has.........really pathetic. DaninFW
I think if you look up the definition of "brainless" it will have your picture beside it. It is obvious your subconscious took over and had you hit thumbs up as that was the appropriate response. Even stupidity can sometimes be overcome. Must really be upsetting to find that no one but Martel and I have you off ignore. That says they have plenty of brains. We are up to 8 board responders counting me and I suspect we may have lost a few but I need to show how smart I am and put you back on ignore. I won't have to see any more of your incomplete sentence hysterics trying to bash the stock so you can buy. You're back on ignore. Fun while it lasted. DaninFW
Sentiment: Strong Buy
Most of you have the current resident board idiot on ignore and he wanted people to give him a thumbs down if they were still here. Please give this a thumbs up or down if you are out there still. He says nobody left as not one person responded to his request. Let's prove him wrong again......DaninFW
You are an idiot. Only Martel and I have you off ignore. I will soon put you back on ignore. You finally did what I ASKED and made a prediction before the event instead of after. You said we should see a dead cat bounce today. You were wrong again. You continue to be 100% the best contrary indicator. You should market that as nobody else is wrong 100% of the time. DaninFW
We may miss the large pop but if we can make 25-50 cents 4-5 times before the pop we will be getting the equivalent of $8-9 per share. Always a risk something can happen but unlikely for a few months yet IMVHO. BTW, great call and play on SBGI. DaninFW
Gekko nut said he has been saying sell for two weeks. He first came on board again on 3-18-15 after market closing price of $6.74 at 4:18 P.M. That's just nine days not two weeks. EVC has also closed above $6.74 three times since then and three times below $6.74...........only down 3-4% as of yesterday from his strong sell rec. EVC trades in a 5% range most days. He's now saying $5 again. When you're wrong like Gekkonut.......you are really wrong. DaninFW
Sentiment: Strong Buy
Far more than a dead cat bounce. Market looks weak today but we could get a bounce. Won't drop much more because it's being accumulated. Watch and learn. This is a screaming buy below $6.50. DaninFW
Sentiment: Strong Buy
EVC keeps talking about investing about 1/3 of their FCF in digital and mobile. Well, SBGI just announced they formed a new division just for that purpose. MEG after acquiring LIN is currently #1. With LIN and SBGI battling it out now it will only push up prices for anyone wanting to sell. If EVC continues to buy they will overpay. What else is new?
"Sinclair Broadcast Group, Inc. (SBGI) (the "Company" or "Sinclair") announced today that it has launched Sinclair Digital Ventures ("SDV"), a division of the Company that will invest in emerging digital technologies and digital content companies. SDV will focus on companies with products or services that support and expand Sinclair's digital capabilities and non-linear footprint. The division will be overseen by David Amy, Sinclair's COO, Chris Ripley, Sinclair's CFO, and Rob Weisbord, Chief Operating Officer, Sinclair Digital Group.
"Expansion of our digital footprint is integral to our longer term growth plan, especially as viewing consumption trends evolve," commented David Smith, President and CEO, Sinclair. "Sinclair Digital Ventures' focus is to seek partner companies whose products or services can help engage consumers and advertisers on multiple screens - web, social media and mobile apps. We currently have several potential investments in the Digital Ventures pipeline whose emphases are on advancing advertiser reach, enhancing the users' digital experience, and/or improving our digital content. With this announcement, we look forward to initiating conversations with other such partners."
That's my point.........you also spell it dinero not deniro(he's an actor BTW) and I am doing quite fine thank you very much. My oil stocks are on fire. DaninFW
I love how you always predict after the fact. Let me try my luck. I predict that the Sea Hawks are going to win the last Super Bowl.......DaninFW
I could just as easily say that I bought ten stocks that went up after the fact. We need info on the future on what you want to buy and sell so we can do the opposite. It may be worth it to pay you since you are always wrong. For the record, we were looking for $7 when you were saying $6.00 and EVC was about $6.30 at the time. It dropped about 20 cents and went up about 80 cents. That means we were right 400% better than your 100%. You do realize the market crashed today? You called it again after the fact. DaninFW
Gekkonut I am taking you off ignore for at least a few days. Please post everything you like and everything you don't like as far as stacks go. I want to do exactly the opposite. You are the best contrary indicator I have ever found in 40+ years of investing. I would be stupid to miss that opportunity. I wait with bait less breath. DaninFW
The game changer was the auction of AWS spectrum that closed earlier this year and yielded $45 billion, far more than had been anticipated, he said. “The economic value that was attributed to the AWS spectrum in the auction has caused everyone, including NBCUniversal, to go back to the drawing board and say: ‘If spectrum is really worth six to 10 times as much as we thought it was … we ought to take a look at it again.’ ”
But selling spectrum would come with an opportunity cost, he said.
Even though broadcasters today reach only “6%, 8%, 12%” of their viewers directly with their over-the-air signals, he said, some want to hang on to their spectrum so that can also broadcast to mobile devices.
"Because technology moves so quickly there has been some sense among many in the broadcast industry that they can’t afford to give up the spectrum because they might lose an opportunity to do something … in the future.”