And they HAD to know about this less than a week ago at the annual meeting too IMO.
IIVI is certainly changing. I have yet to see anything positive from the changes yet though.
It had been such a terrific performer for so many years I'm slow to throw in the towel. Hoping they can find their way back to good profitability, little/no debt, etc.
Hope isn't an investment thesis though.
"scale in, scale out, online commissions are cheap" is a motto I've lived by.
So while the stumbles over the past several years have hurt - it's all been house money for a long time for me.
Had I never sold any, watched the company changes, and watched a bunch of profit evaporate - I'd be more upset.
Truth is the was a great company at one time. The future isn't nearly as bright. And it's just not me. It's obvious investors are voting with their feet.
If you find anything worthy of DD please post here, I"m always looking for new idea's.
Figures. I own IIVI, RSTI, IPGP...
Have not owned GSIG(GSLI), NEWP for years, never owned COHR.
Thanks for the info.
Thanks for the info.
Do you happen to know who's lasers they are using?
I own some uTEK options purely as a spec play.
But lasers as a category are 25% of the value of what I have in the market.
Standard boilerplate in all companies statement...
Not that one could say a cut or suspension of the divvy here may not happen. At some point it becomes prudent.
I can think of a lot of PR's that I'd rather read.
Nothing specific to this fella. But CFO's resigning is rarely a good thing. Atleast he's sticking around a while.
If IIVI takes the "cost containment" move of outsourcing IR - a favorite move by questionable companies I'll be selling all of my IIVI holdings. Because I've NEVER seen that end well - for shareholders.
In the end this fella resigning may not be a negative. I just can't see it being a positive.
And remember this was a billion dollar company on an aquisition spree(regardless of Carl claiming they aren't) so he has had a front row seat to what has been going on. And may continue to happen as long as they have a banker(s) to loan them money.
Perhaps this fella actually spoke up at some point? I have no idea. But I'd like someone on the mgmt team to speak up at some point - PLEASE!!
On any given day it's a guess IMO.
I'd wait to buy.
Or buy 1/4 of what I'd like to end up buying.
I wouldn't be in a rush.
I'd wait until after the ER and call personally.
If you've already accumulated a decent amount and are green or even I likely wouldn't do a thing.
Or maybe a 12 or 14 strike call or two for NOV or JAN. I wouldn't do 13's myself. And I doubt I'd buy and DEC's. But these are my personal preferences.
I'm setting tight.
Someone bought a lot yesterday at .55. My order didn't go off yesterday but I grabbed a few today at .45 of the JAN 17.50's. This is a GAMBLE not an INVESTMENT!
I'll answer when I understand the question.
I thought what I had typed was rather clear actually.
One day doesn't make a trend...
But at this point any time spent going up is a good thing. For that matter staying flat is almost a win.
Not that I recall.
I wish they executed half as well re: the business as rewarding themselves. With the golden parachutes and options.
Again part of why I didn't add under 30 not long ago.
Mgmt has done very well, thank you. SHareholders lets say not as well.
They did this because they had no debt and didn't wanna get buoght out and loose their ability to bleed this pig IMO.
Me - I don't buy momo companies. I bought CREE due to it being a disruptive technology.
And if I had a great profit I might "reach" for a little more if the risk/reward made me happy.
And there were no Karmann Ghia's in '89.
Take it from someone who restores old air cooled VW's as a hobby. Infact "davebugs" comes from the neighborhood kids trying to say "Dave with the bugs" when they were very young and it would come out "Dave mumble mumble bugs".
So you know little about cars...
And I'll be generous and say you simply have a different approach to "investing". And I'm using "investing" rather loosely. Tesla is simply a momo name to me. So I hope you are selling some when you get the chances as it gets hyped, etc.
With CREE I have been doing both. Selling lots of common AND writing calls. Simply because I thought it was ahead of itself and that mgmt seems inept.
TSLA I don't follow so I don't know the situation over there.
"scale in, scale out, online commissions are cheap"
I don't short EVER.
I don't have much CREE left.
My personal rules of thumb on options. When I buy and they double I sell (or write against them). When I write and they get cut in half I buy them back. This has worked well for me for years.
Like I've said had I believed in mgmt I would have added under 30 not all that long ago.
My mistake was writing when the stock was around or under 60 (I forget) before that last pop. They were well in the read for a while. Writing for 2 bucks on a 67.50 strike price isn't what I usually do. But I had just booked over 3.00 share on last write. So worst case the shares would be called away and I had lowered my cost basis 5 bucks in 3 months.
I had been selling shares into the last runup also so I don't have much common left, and now no options.
I'm lightening up trading shares on other stocks.
Starting to nibble at loosers with likely tax loss selling like I usually do.
And I still have a low opinion of our gov't, most foreigh gov'ts, etc. So I have more cash than normal. Actually I've tried to keep more cash since Obama was elected than ever before. Quicker to book profits. More Common stock replacement with options, etc.
As of friday I'm up over 17% cash.
Sept thru yearend is my favorite buying time most years.
I usually try and be fully invested by the last week of the year. Even if I have to buy an index. Usually I have sold half of these buys by end of Jan, and usually most of the rest before APril 15th. Again jsut personal rules of thumb.
So could I have traded better? Always! Had I been booking profits on trading lots in addition to writing the calls before the ER prior - yes.
So overall I haven't done too badly. CREE just hasn't realized it's potential IMO - and with the current mgmt may never.
And I invest based on these opinions and rules of thumb.
I mistyped above. It's IPGP IIVI says is vertically integrated and unlikely to be a customer for fibre components not RSTI.
And I can't figure out why Yahoo scrambled the fact that RSTI's ER is November 7th - talk about going overboard with big brother.
I just had an hour of playtime. I'm thinking of selling the last of my INTC trading shares - I only have 4 lots of INTC trading shares left. Up an everage of 20%. Used to trade the under 20 to above 22 swings. Now I gotta beleive 25ish is short term top. So I'll likely sell a lot or 2 between here and 25. If it hits 25.40 or so I'll sell the other trading lots.
I'll be watching IPGP closely thru end of year though to posisbly nibble more. Correct I see no compelling reason to be in a hurry to establish a significant position in any of the stocks I own or follow.
Thanks for the thoughts.
RSTI made an aquisition of a German company (I think) a few years ago to get into fibre.
IIVI wants to be a fibre component supplier. Not to RSTI because it sounds like they do virtually everything inhouse. But with a growing market like fibre you know there will be sizable competitors.
Yes I've been buying - 5 lots so far. Average is pennies above here at 60.63.
At this price I'm not expecting a lot of tax loss selling. But if IPGP looses another 10% tax loss selling could really add to it. Like I expect to happen with IIVI and is likely already happening there.
RSTI ER 11#$%$ always the last that I follow.
My lowest shares were 55.53 the kinda the end of May which is roughly 10% from here. If IPGP gets there I'll likely start nibbling again.
Don't forget the gov't crisis may be coming again....and there always could be another NOT self induced crisis. Yellen could caus einstability(unlikely) you jsu tnever know market and geopolitical things that can effect the whole market, this segment, etc.