You might want to consider Optionshouse. I've had accounts at both places (and about 4 others, simply to compare everything over the past 3 years). I have found Optionshouse to be superior in the following regards:
1) they allow you to re-invest much more quickly, without holding the funds
2) withdrawing funds is more convenient
3) I LOVE their main screen, which at a glance shows gain/loss percentages for
day, month to date and year to date.
I'm probably going to be moving my Roth IRA to Optionshouse soon, because their fees are also lower for options.
I remember trying to decide whether to invest in a "bankrupt" stock, and using a few of JML's posts to help convince myself to hold on to the investment longer than I would have otherwise. In fact, I invested most of the AAMRQ distributions into deep in the money January 2016 call options. Overall, I've nearly quadrupled our $ from last November. We did so well that we were able to take a Florida trip and Disney Cruise a few months back that we otherwise would not have done.
I'll be nice, since a bunch of other folks here aren't. The thumbs down was essentially for not doing some reading before asking the question - the answer has been posted here many times, and there is sort of the assumption that you'll spend at least 5 minutes or so reading over the recent topics to see if it has already been covered before posting. (short answer: nobody knows exactly until it happens) Also, keep in mind that a lot of folks on here never owned AAMRQ, and are thus a bit jealous because they didn't get the huge run up from the distributions, which do not apply to them. To them, anyone who posts anything about AAMRQ is dredging up the past that reminds them of a lost opportunity.
Thanks welbie. Actually, I bought in around 10 months ago for ~$10 a share, then sold when it got up to $13. I wouldn't have known about the stock at all except for a tip from my Mother of all people! I watched the stock price a couple of times since then, and saw that it was down more and more.
I bought back in again in late April when it dropped to about $12.50 a share. This time I stocked up on $10 January 2016 call options, which are up 32% in 2 months. I was sorely tempted to sell a couple of days ago, only to then watch the stock drop 5% in a day. (and my options drop much more than that) Of course, now I'm trying to decide whether I should be happy with the 30% in two months, and look for something else that seems undervalued, or whether I should hold on to these for a bit longer.
baseball cards .... funny. That's about as good of an investment as coins, and I actually LIKE coins.
In any case, I own AAL, which tends to go down when the price of oil goes up. (they have to pay more for fuel, and profits decrease) I decided to sort of balance this by also buying KOG. I reasoned that since KOG profits more when the price of oil goes up, it would help me not have any extreme quarters if the price of oil went way up or down. One of my stocks would increase, and the other decrease either way.
Obviously there are going to be minor swings this way and that for each stock, independent of oil. I'm guessing that this one was something like that. Did someone release some news or details that were viewed as a negative for KOG? I'm trying to understand the stock better, and I have evidently missed something that other investors thought would negatively impact the stock. Hopefully someone out there can point out what I missed? Thanks!
I think the $12 for approval, $15 for partnership and $18 buyout is much more realistic.
If LGF is sure they want to go the theme park route, why not simply license out their properties to someone else, or an existing park operator for a themed area? This would give them guaranteed income with no risk. They could even set it up so that the deal includes a payment of annual stock in whatever park or company builds the attraction, so that LGF would slowly build up a minority ownership and share in the profits - all without having to put up a huge initial outlay of $$ to build their own park.
I've roughly tripled my original AAMRQ investment at this point. I sold most of my shares in the mid 30's price range, but then turned around and plowed most of those into long term deep in the money call options until the stock price hit about $40, then I sold most of those.
I did a little math about 3 months ago and came up with a fair market value of $43 for AAL. Of course, estimates have gone a bit higher than that over the past few months. When the share price ticked up to $43, and then even $44, I was sorely tempted to sell my remaining investment, which is about 20% of my portfolio now.
This stock is quite volatile, isn't it? It has shown that it can go down quite a bit, and quickly, as well as up. I'm not quite sure that a drop of roughly 10% is warranted at this point. Does anyone know if American has itself hedged at all against jet fuel price increases?
I am curious about this as well. Why are BOTH Tyson's and Pilgrim's down 5-6% at this point? If it was a great deal that would provide a lot of future income at low cost, then I would have thought the winner would have gone up, and the loser down. On the other hand, if it was an overpriced deal, then I would think that the winner would be down, and the company that walked away would be up. Why in the world are both down???
There was some talk and speculation about some sort of codeshare or partnership between American and Alaskan a few months ago, but most folks thought the time wasn't right for anything past that. I do agree that a minority ownership of Alaskan would be a good place for American to put some of that cash they have - they could slowly increase their ownership of Alaskan bit by bit over time, until it was over 50%.
I decided to invest and got in under $26 a share. The movie was 2 hours and 20 minutes long, but when it finished I found myself wanting more. It is also one of the few movies I've seen where I didn't feel things became slow or boring anywhere in the movie. It had good acting, directing and a chronological plot. (over reliance on flashbacks often ruins a movie for me) I think the first movie will be enjoyed by a LOT of people over the next year. I think that the second movie may bring in significantly more $$ at the box office than the first one has. More than that, however, when I saw that the management of the company seems to be trying to diversify revenue streams, has bought back shares and also has paid off debt lately, it really seemed like the company is being fiscally responsible. I like that, which is why I invested.
It was so close - within 9 cents! I'm curious what will happen once it breaks the $40 mark. It almost seems like there is a psychological barrier there, where every time it gets close, then goes back down.
If the proposed buyout were to go through in the next 6 months, what would be the upside for HCBK stockholders?
The last I heard (a year or so ago), the formula was something like .083 of MTB stock price, or about $9.87 a share. Since HCBK is presently nearing $10 a share on its own, this means that current HCBK owners might actually LOSE money on the buyout deal.
As such, is there any reason at all to invest in HCBK stock currently? If the deal doesn't happen, the stock could go down a dollar or two. However, I'm not seeing any real upside from present levels if the deal goes through, unless I'm misunderstanding something.