Thu, Aug 21, 2014, 11:59 PM EDT - U.S. Markets closed

Recent

% | $
Quotes you view appear here for quick access.

Staples, Inc. Message Board

gswkool 44 posts  |  Last Activity: Aug 11, 2014 9:39 PM Member since: Jan 2, 2012
  • gswkool gswkool Aug 11, 2014 9:39 PM Flag

    the problem in my impression is that it was not in as good hands with GERN. Otherwise, they would be in a better position to satisfy the FDA. Mayo and DR.T was able to satisfy FDA. Certainly it is good that he is gonna be coordinating things. However, he has the task of collecting data which GERN should have been tracking in first place, and it may not be possible to put humpty dumpty back together again. As a shareholder, I hope he succeeds. Otherwise my money is down the toilet. My confidence is not so high, even with Dr. T's help. We'll see.....

  • gswkool gswkool Jul 25, 2014 6:01 PM Flag

    I think the market has topped or is very close. That doesn't mean a free fall, however, - Unless there is some big event, the downtrend could occur in a more subtle manner over a period of time. There will be few good places to hide. Speculative biotechs don't have earnings or dividends holding them up. So they will fall. However, any positive news coming out of a speculative biotech will certainly trump market conditions -in a big way or at least for a time, depending on magnitude of the news. That's my take....GLTA

  • gswkool gswkool Jul 25, 2014 5:49 PM Flag

    I hear what you're saying. One big difference btw. the two is that Ozurdex is biodegradeable. If you are a patient and there are risks of side effects from the implant -one has to be injected more frequently but disappears in the end, and the other stays in your eye forever but has to be injected less frequently - which would you choose if efficacy is similar? I have PSDV shares but as a patient I'd be more inclined to go with the bioerodable version i.e. Ozurdex. It would be interesting to get the opinion of someone in the field. I also wonder how this will play into the looming FDA decision. Allergan just got approval in Europe. In US, Ozurdex already approved.

  • It has a drug and an aptimer. So potential is there for allegic reaction to either/or as opposed to single entity. Additionally, is it possible that the interaction btw the two can be an issue for some? I have no idea what the outcome of the findings will be - sold my shares on the news and took the tax loss. It should be interesting, though. The safest way to play this may be with options - anyone look into that?

  • seems to be limping along, -very little news flow. wake me up when something interesting happens...i'd say 6 months or so...

  • Reply to

    Guesses on sp of PSDV after 26 Sep??

    by aussiefrank55 Jul 23, 2014 4:37 PM
    gswkool gswkool Jul 25, 2014 10:33 AM Flag

    I'm probably overly optimistic, but that's just me. In terms of FDA approval, Tethadur is still preclinical so I would think it's off the radar of FDA. I realize the stock market is tainted, but I wouldn't know how to factor in such a hypothesis as the one you stated. I'm not so sure how long it will take for PSDV to actually earn money from Lluvien itself - the immediate $25M gratification is what I am looking forward to......

  • OZURDEX (dexamethasone 700 mcg intravitreal implant in applicator) is biodegradeable implant. Already approved by FDA I believe. Anyone know how it stacks up vs Lluvien?

  • gswkool gswkool Jul 24, 2014 9:36 AM Flag

    you're right....pretty sad...if they were for real they would be paying a dividend to reward investors, -the stock does look cheap here on technical basis though - this is a stock to trade and not to hold.... as you say, it's the insiders that will continue to profit on a long term basis....

  • Reply to

    Guesses on sp of PSDV after 26 Sep??

    by aussiefrank55 Jul 23, 2014 4:37 PM
    gswkool gswkool Jul 24, 2014 9:24 AM Flag

    I'd say you're close. Approval has multiple implications -better cash position from which to negotiate deals from, faster approval path for medidur, increased exposure to investor and analyst community from positive news and SP appreciation, as well as the obvious.... So, my guess is $8-9 on the announcement approval.
    On the downside, if rejected, $2.5 -$3.00 ......IMHO.....GLTA

  • Reply to

    FovistaTM Anti-PDGF Therapy

    by gswkool Jul 21, 2014 8:32 PM
    gswkool gswkool Jul 22, 2014 10:22 AM Flag

    Mick, thanks for the reply. I believe Novartis is or will be working on a combination drug i.e. whereby they can be delivered together. I am wondering if Tethadur will be able to deliver this combination drug - of course all this is a ways off. Just found it interesting. I think OPHT is looking at 2016 for possible approval of Fovista. Note that the Novartis deal, which was quite lucrative, was for Int'l rights only. OPHT kept US for themselves so far. I do think Fovista approval could have some level of negative implications for Lluvien, but not overly concerned -looking forward to the $25M payment which will be extremely helpful for PSDV........

  • FovistaTM is designed to target platelet derived growth factor (PDGF) in combination with anti-VEGF drugs to disrupt the formation of abnormal new blood vessels in wet AMD. In clinical trials, the combination of FovistaTM 1.5mg and an anti-VEGF therapy demonstrated statistically significant superiority compared to anti-VEGF monotherapy in terms of improvements in visual acuity, providing a 62% comparative benefit from baseline

    Company is symbol OPHT......they are not targeting a specific anti-vegf therapy; rather, they are targeting it to work with any approved anti-vegf therapy.......

  • Reply to

    stock price starting to move

    by gswkool Jun 28, 2014 11:35 AM
    gswkool gswkool Jul 21, 2014 8:23 PM Flag

    quarterly report was not so good. Not impressed on choco side of things. Demand is increasing for chocolate worldwide as middle class grows internationally. However, this will push up price of cocoa. RMCF too small -it's not nestle or hershey. So it may have problems with margins when cocoa price moves higher. They should divest choco business and go with yogurt. ....

  • gswkool by gswkool Jul 19, 2014 5:50 PM Flag

    Check out the company for symbol OPHT. Over billion dollar market cap. Got a great partnering deal. How does this bode for potential Lluven sales....? well, hopefully there will still be some market left....and $25M is $25M if it is approved....

    FovistaTM Anti-PDGF Therapy

    FovistaTM is designed to target platelet derived growth factor (PDGF) in combination with anti-VEGF drugs to disrupt the formation of abnormal new blood vessels in wet AMD. In clinical trials, the combination of FovistaTM 1.5mg and an anti-VEGF therapy demonstrated statistically significant superiority compared to anti-VEGF monotherapy in terms of improvements in visual acuity, providing a 62% comparative benefit from baseline.

  • Reply to

    Just A Guess On Roche

    by mickmack50 Jul 14, 2014 9:16 AM
    gswkool gswkool Jul 14, 2014 12:25 PM Flag

    Provided Lluvien gets approval in the U.S., why would anyone wish for a takeover? PSDV is far from reaching its potential. With $25M additional in the bank, they can continue to progress for the foreseeable future. The last thing I would want to see is a sellout . I'm not one for instant gratification. Anyhow, a little over eight weeks to go before a decision. If it goes against PSDV, then it will be time to reevaluate....GLTA

  • Reply to

    stock price starting to move

    by gswkool Jun 28, 2014 11:35 AM
    gswkool gswkool Jul 12, 2014 10:51 AM Flag

    better late than never. expect more progress on the yogurt front. so much for chocolate biz -progress there has been a dud.....

  • Reply to

    VERY FAVORABLE RISK/REWARD HERE BUY WITH BOTH FISTS

    by erp3359 Jun 29, 2014 4:13 PM
    gswkool gswkool Jul 12, 2014 9:44 AM Flag

    weeks or months to wait - not a big deal. I'll be happy if it happens before EOY. Still plenty of money to be made by/on MNTA. ...

  • gswkool gswkool Jul 6, 2014 10:58 AM Flag

    Markets will only be as rational as the people that participate in them. How many rational people do you know? How many rational people do you know that invest in the market? Most people don't have a clue...

  • Reply to

    VERY FAVORABLE RISK/REWARD HERE BUY WITH BOTH FISTS

    by erp3359 Jun 29, 2014 4:13 PM
    gswkool gswkool Jul 5, 2014 10:14 AM Flag

    they can try, -i agree with erporgene - the fat lady is singing -waiting on approval. I bought MNTA shares as I think it's possible there will only be one version of generic approved, and that I bet is MNTA. If I remember correctly, MNTA has an in with the FDA- The FDA has turned to it in the past for assistance. It should be interesting to see how this whole thing plays out.. I'm betting on MNTA....GLTA

  • Reply to

    Deaths:

    by redspinelpinktopaz Jul 5, 2014 8:59 AM
    gswkool gswkool Jul 5, 2014 9:57 AM Flag

    It's blinded so who knows? Only the clinical site(s) where adverse events occurred and the DSMB will know upon investigation. They will need to examine data and weigh the potential harm of adverse events against the potential efficacy of the drug. So, essentially, we will be getting our results early. If DSMB finds efficacy outweighs risks then great sign for ultimate approval. If they find reverse and stop trial from continuing, well, so much for their drug. It would be great if they could determine who is allergic before full administration -but I don't think that is possible. My gut feel is the news will be negative. So I will be selling and/or looking at stock options as a way to hedge against further loss if feasiblle......GLTA

  • ....not sayin' whether they are frivolous or not.....just feels like the stock is becoming more and more like a roach hotel..... in this case I don't think the market overreacted. In 8 weeks we will get the truth. My guess is that it will be unfavorable. The plunging stock price indicates many with similar assessment. Now the questions become -on bad news, how much further will it drop? Does it have potential to bounce back? I'm thinking sell now and take the tax loss.....I think I am done with this one ....GLTA

SPLS
10.97-0.35(-3.09%)Aug 21 4:00 PMEDT

Trending Tickers

i
Trending Tickers features significant U.S. stocks showing the most dramatic increase in user interest in Yahoo Finance in the previous hour over historic norms. The list is limited to those equities which trade at least 100,000 shares on an average day and have a market cap of more than $300 million.