Three title to be released in the next three months: Kylie and Kendall, Britney Spears, and TSB 2016. The first two are already in beta. Here are what we can learn from the information from beta:
Kylie and Kendall
- Beta in Canada has the most relevant predictive information.
- Population of Canada = 43M (pretty good size)
- Strong set of metrics since 2014 in terms of download, retention, and monetization
- Has retained top 20 download position (highest 13) and top 50 grossing the past few weeks
- Still in 0.9.2 beta with some bugs (hopefully, will fix those in the major release)
- Bottom line:
o This game is going to be a double (top 50), not a home run except if the demographics of Canada is not representative of US
o This is still very important after the KPP flop as it shows the viability of the celebrity genre
o Adding additional fun features can turn this into a sustain double or even triple
Britney Spears American Dream
- Beta in New Zealand – demographics may not be representative
- Population of New Zealand = 4M
- The games is performing much better than everyone expected
- Strong initial download top 20 and grossing top 100 (and climbing)
- Still in 0.2 beta. Reported that the game still has lots of bugs but it is a fun game. Hopefully, the next beta will fix the bugs
- Bottom line:
o This is a surprising performance when everyone asked GLUU to can it
o Could be a single (top 100)
- No beta yet but has a strong followers from previous versions
- The expectation is that this will be a double or triple
In the midst of all the attention to TS signing, there is a shift in the strategy from GLUU:
• No movie games
• Emphasis on quality: download (celebrity-themed) + retention/stickiness (bug-free, fun, interesting games) + monetization (ads +in-app purchases)
o Central gate/check to ensure all these metrics are hit before release
o CTO to ensure platform/games are bug-free and do not crash
o Less title per year – only on strong genres
• Publisher versus game developer
o Shifting to publisher instead of purely game developer (less risky)
o Partner with WeFire
o Equity stakes in WhatzUup
o Minority equity stakes in Dairy Free Games – check out the DNA games. This game is almost ready to go and can be huge as Clash of Clan. We have the publishing rights.
Given the disastrous FY15, the above strategy is warranted and prudent. Thoughts?
- KK to launch in 2 weeks
- Britney cancelled
- KPP - to negotiate contract and re-launch or cancel
- Strategy tweak - produce 8 games year - mixed of strong and new genres
- reduce overheard - underperforming teams to do
- buy back to commence immediately
Here are the announced/predicted games in 2016:
1. Kylie and Kendall (Q1’16) - will do well but not in the league of KKH
2. Britney Spears (H1’16) - this is going to be a struggle. A singer with no real social buzz
3. Nicki Minaj (mid ’16) - this is going to be interesting as this is the first African American celebrity games. Also, she has some social buzz
4. WeFire (mid ’16) - interesting but I'm afraid that shooting game is not a top 20 game these days.
5. Gordon Ramsay (summer ’16) - I think this has a real good change of good success. Gordon has a bad rep and people like to play bad people :)
6. MX Rivals - one of Cie games after RR. I'm expected some success but not the like of RR
7. Car Town Rivals - another CIe games but I think they will shelf on the Cie games this year
8. Tap Sports Baseball - A good change to take TSB to the next level. HOWEVER, they will need to combine or get the player from TSB 2015 to TSB 2016. Social network has multiplier effect. Also, you do not have to support two games like they did previously with Deer Hunter, TSB, etc.
9. Tap Sports Football - need to introduce more "strategy", options, and control into the game
Two biggest challenge they have in their games:
- How to ensure you have a top download game and sustain it over a few weeks? Apparently the current way they are doing now is not working very well even with celebrity-themed games. Advertisement - what's the cost/benefit?
- How to combine annual or bi-annual games e.g. Deer Hunter, TSB, TFB, etc. One of the major complaints are that folks who have advanced and established themselves in the games do not want to move to next released games as evidenced in Deer Hunter where Deer Hunter 2014 still reap revenue.
I also think Gluu the re-launch of Katy Perry games is eminent. We have a long term contract with her and will have to make use of her :).