What are the Gabellis waiting for? $9.50 book value. $3.50 in cash. Why don't they tender for 500,000 shares at $6. Or start buying blocks in the open market? Why doesn't Mario and his some Marc practice the same value creation he preaches?
With guidance for disappointing performance in the near term, if there is someone out there that is willing to buy this for $8 or higher, I think it should be sold. In fact, as a 2.5% holder of the company, I'd be the first to support any bid of $7.50. But good luck getting the Gabellis on board, I'm guessing.
Yes, I'm still short (at $1.61). And yes, the buying interest, and volume, the last few days has impressed me. So I'm quaking in my boots a bit. Just glad I was able to close out 15% of the position, the same day, with an 8-9 cent gain.
We've climbed 45% from a month ago, while MNI is up 15%, and GCI is up less than 10%.
Plus, volume has been quite heavy on the buy side....such that if that buyer should stop, we very readily could go back to the low $1.60's, or even lower.
But, conceptually, I'm looking at this as a "failed short," at this point, but thinking I still have a good chance at salvaging a break even, since I think it more likely than not that the buyers are going to "give it a breather," rather than continue to "chase" it. We'll see.
Still love the company, but believe in reversion to the mean, and would personally like to enter this on the long side, now, at $1.40-1.45 or less. (Probably won't retrace below $1.40-1.45 now, at this point, though, I'm thinking, based on all the buying interest were seeing here.....although this buying interest COULD be "hot money"....which could give us a delicious buying opportunity in the future, if the "hot money" gets disappointed on the stock's dropping, and decides to all get out at once. I live for this kind of #$%$.)
That's too bad....because I averaged down my cost to like $2.10. Since I understood the fundamentals of what I owned. (Unlike you, I was confident that I was NOT throwing good money after bad last fall...and that the Street was decidedly WRONG then.)
You're getting the same price the stock was trading at last fall. 1/2 of book. And 1/4 of sales.
No position here...but if I did, I'd definitely be pursuing my appraisal rights here, to get more money in court.
But I guess it's better than the eventual bankruptcy they would have faced.
I'm not really sure I have all the numbers accurately, frankly. There's lots of moving parts here. I'm guessing, yes, pretty strongly, they sell the household R&F business, yes, reading the tea leaves in the conference call.
But Personally, I think there's so much asset value here, that I really don't NEED to be exactly right, as long as they do the general monetization I'm looking for....and the commercial compressor business continues to improve for them. I'm just going to sit back, and enjoy the ride...because I quite confident that we have lots more to go here.
totally unfathomable. What kind of credibility does Spyros have, if he's willing to betray his preexisting shareholder base by buying more ships, when the ones we already have were so undervalued on the balance sheet? The best thing he could have done is bought back common stock.
i'll consider buying this stock at $3 or $4 in December, on the inevitable tax loss selling.
You just can't trust these Greek shippers, it seems. Their eyes are all bigger than their stomachs....and, trafically, their eyes are bigger than their self respect as fiduciaries.
This was the high trading range on June 25, 26, and 27th, 2012, when the stock spiked up on over 1 million shares a day avg. volume.
Seeing where GCI and MNI are trading, i don't see why we should trade above the range noted above, in the near term...although granted, the company is performing quite well, in the broader context of the industry.
Long term buy, but short term sell.
Does anyone know where the rekindled buying interest has come from?
I did cover 15% of the short position, same day, at $1.52-1.53, but remain vulnerable on the rest of it...although I still feel that there should be considerable near term resistance at $1.70.
Management obviously screwed up royally, by "chasing" suppliers that were undercapitalized, and stupidly funding them, and by chasing sales with customers that were undercapitalized....and stupidly funding them.
I've pretty much sworn off Chinese reverse mergers. They were all designed as scams to take money from U.S. investors, with companies that didn't have any kind of real business models.
Who ever heard of a company losing 80% plus of its revenue in a year....and suffering a gross loss.
I can't tell you how dirty I feel. (This is one of my few outright failures of the last few years.)
My long national nightmare is over. [lol]
The weight [sic] was worth it. As was averaging down.
For the record, sold 15,000 shares today. Going nice and easy. Willing to just "let it run," and take a few off, here and there, in dribs and drabs. (Certainly not going to "get in the way" of the market taking it up!)
Zacks is absolutely useless garbage....although, in this case, I'll take it. Zacks loves to downgrade stocks that are going down, and upgrade ones that are going up. They do no proprietary work of any use whatsoever, that I've seen or am aware of.
Let me clarify....$4.25 was a support area in June-July of 2010. Then a resistance area in October of 2010. That's the basis for my statement.
Highest volume trading day we've had, today (5/13), in the last 3 1/2 years!
Someone seems like they are trying to get all they can get their hands on at 18 cents. I'm guessing it's investor Joseph Patrick Daly, since he filed a Form 4, less than a month ago, indicating further purchases.
It would be nice to see this sleepy company make "a run" here. (I own approximately 2.2%.)
...excluding the 3 days of high volume in June/July 2011, owing to the exogenous effect of Russell index rebalancing.
(The last time we had a higher volume day was 2.5 million shares on 8/30/10.)
Incidentally, I wonder at what price HTCH has to trade at, going forward here, to be ADDED BACK to the Russell, at the end of June this year. THAT would be exciting...and create a nice bit of additional demand for the stock.