very exciting breakthrough, I will try my best to summary from 60 minutes:
!) Duke has been working on this for at least 10 years.
2) polio virus (not vaccine) was genetically modified and then injected into patients' brain mass (Glioblastoma multiforme). These injected virus can only entered the cancer cells but not normal cells. Polio virus then will multiply (proliferate) within infected tumor cells.
3) Within few weeks the infected cancer cells will die (evidence by cavity formation on CAT scan, as well as stabilization of tumor size).
4) approximate 4 to 5 months after injection, patients' own immune system (T/NK cells and others) will kick in and start attacking these cancer cells (evidence by enhancing lesion/edema at mass periphery). Because all these cancer cells are "unmasked" (aftere polio virus infection) and can be recognized by patients' immune system (T/NK cells) at this point. Eventually all cancer cells were wiped out and only scar tissue left.
5) Among ?19 patients, approximate 40-50% still alive, and 11 patients died after 6 months
6) This polio virus also works in vitro on breast, colon, kidney, prostate cancer, etc.