if you have a moment, go check the trades today - every time someone sells at the bid, someone follows with a buy for 100 shares at the ask.
I was selling other stuff into the strength today. will be interesting to see how the market performs tomorrow and the remainder of the week.
Get all the details together and drop a note to Cashen - he will take the time to look at it.
At the shareholders meeting, I gave him the info on the one I thought would be a good fit. He was nice enough to take the printouts I gave him and assured me they'd have a look.
I did get some shares today, but I really had to work to get them. Someone is clearly trying to support the price, but "I'm not chasing"...haha
not concerned at this point. we're getting the correction, I don't think it's the beginning of a bear market. earnings are continuing to come in very good and I'm happy with my portfolio with tons of cash allowing me to be very picky. my banks are good examples - all reporting very good numbers in spite of continued low interest rate environment. CY is another great example - was able to acquire shares all the way down to $8.05 because of panic going through semi sector. they reported good earnings, dividend continues to be referred to as "sacred" and it will do fine going forward.
again - no need to be scared, but likewise you need to stay away from the garbage.
just noticed Seeking Alpha author wrote an article on it a couple days ago likely causing some demand - will try to get shares at/under .65
Looking to take initial position tomorrow below .70 - earnings announcement in 2 weeks should show further improvement and higher profitability with first of two seasonally strong quarters.
many, many thanks for your reply.
I have read all your posts over the past few weeks, and they agree with my thinking/analysis as I was doing my research.
can someone please give me their views on the deteriorating cash balance?
I like most of what I see - however, the declining cash balance over the past 4 quarters does have me somewhat concerned. Company is posting profits, but obviously needs cash to function. What's the plan to get the cash balance up?
thanks for camping out here and espousing your wisdom as I am certain that you place higher value on doing this compared to other things you might be doing with your time.
Shares do not include any future potential at this time. They are being priced as if we were in early 2013 and the company has much more going for it today.
People should listen to the conference call, read the transcript and consider the numbers Abbas was talking about with regard to subscription services. This is a huge recurring revenue stream that's out there.
Beyond that, the company has many irons in the fire at this time and even if only a few actually bear fruit, there is going to be a huge payoff.
Shares are significantly underpriced here. Anything below book value is like shooting fish in a barrel.
Company continues to perform well in spite of the hurdles placed in front of them - like this accounting/CFO mishap. Six months from now, when we are in spring/summer of 2015 it will be forgotten history.
I don't like anything trading as Ebola plays - sold my VSR...much too big an issue is being made out of it, and the realization will likely hit in the coming days/weeks. Any stocks which have been pushed up because of Ebola will be trashed.
That being said, it's good that your time horizon is just a few days - I just can't invest for that kind of thesis. I had already owned VSR, so as you said, I struck gold as a bystander - I didn't invest in VSR because of Ebola or even knowing that they had anything related...and by what I've read, they really have nothing and pumpers have just made a story out of it. So, it's no longer an investment for me - it's a casino game for those who want to participate at this time.
Friend, investing is like driving a car - if you focus all your attention on the rearview mirror instead of what's up ahead, you're going to have an accident. Start paying more attention to what's in the future.
I am in a somewhat similar situation, though probably 20 years younger than you...but investing is my career since leaving the workforce a couple years ago, so it's much more than a game for me.
I was prepared for a weak September/October this year and was heavily cash (about 75%) going in and I've been bargain shopping this week - happily picking up additional CCUR shares and will gladly take more below $7. Give me the dividend and I can be patient a really long time if necessary. I was itching to buy some COP at the lows yesterday, but I hesitated, it got away from me too quickly and I missed it...maybe I'll get another shot before end of the year.
Don't worry about being down for the month. By the sounds of it you're up for the year, and compared to the indexes, you've done very well.
the biggest impediment that would cause the merger to fail is not having the funding. however, from the very beginning it was made clear that SGMS has the funding commitments and thus there was no need to put a funding contingency in the merger agreement. nothing has changed from a few days ago when the shares were trading at $81/share - just we are that much closer to the deal closing. BYI shareholders will vote for it as the $83.30 is higher than the share price and there are no other offers. SGMS will approve since Ron Perelman owns the bulk of their shares.
still safe/easy money at this level...over $4/share (about 6%) for holding the shares maybe 3 or 4 months at most.