My job wasn't eliminated, on the contrary they had to scramble to fill the position I left open. When I got the package, back in '05, I promised to help out if they got in a bind. My replacement had some family issues and chose to retire, so I was asked to return 6 months later as a consultant. I Worked 2-4 days a week (2-3 from home) and finally re-retired for good 7 years later in '12. It was on my terms and one great gig. Took a 35% hit on yearly retirement as Ray mentioned, but had figured it would take over 13 fulltime working years to make up the golden handshake payout. Which didn't take the time value of money into consideration. Add in the consultant pay = I did the right thing. My health is now better than the day I retired in '05 as a full time company employee. Don't regret a thing.
I'm with you.. Our General Manager was talking to his leadership team about an upcoming company wide retirement package back in '05. After he was done talking to us I rushed to my office and filled out an early retirement form. Head office HR contacted him saying I was the first in the company to apply, even though the program hadn't been officially offered. I actually sent in a form that was from the last package offered in the 90's. And, that my friend, was how I retired at 53 (with less than 80 points) with a golden handshake. Haven't looked back since. Best to you all.
Thanks for your analysis Ray. I'm going to keep it in park and wait to see what the weekend brings. Not sure how much negative feedback will come from recent well shutdowns in the Gulf.
I've got a window (several days each month) where I'm restricted from making a change to my Fidelity account. The restriction is related to my systematic monthly withdrawals. It takes Fidelity a few days to figure out what percentage from each of my investments go to the monthly withdrawals. It was quite a shock the first time I tried to make an exchange and was blocked. But, now I know not to even try during the allocation / distribution timing. Other than that I haven't heard of any other restrictions.
All sound points retired. My question for you: When the Dutch offered $52 per share for the US Shell Oil shares (over 35 years ago) did you sale your shares or refuse and join the class action lawsuit? I did. I believe my career growth (at Shell) was hampered a little for suing the company, but they forgave most of us after the court in Wilmington, Del ruled in our favor (for over a $100 per share). Anyway, CAUTION is the word for some time forward. Good luck on attaining your $60-$70 sale range.
I pulled out, awhile back, and took the financial hit. Won't consider going back in until the deal is completed or rejected. Don't support the deal, but believe things will get somewhat better (long term) if it goes through and a lot better (short term) if it's rejected. JMHO of course.
Sentiment: Strong Sell
I like your all caps CHRIST in Christmas. Without the 3 Fs (Faith, Family, Friends) where would we be?
I took the bait yesterday for just the reasons you listed. Wasn't sure if I was the only one who thought yesterday's drop was a positive after the announcement. #$%$ #$%$ quarter with minimal price drop!!!! But, I'm prepared to spit the hook if/when conditions change. GLTA
Short-Term Sentiment - Holding with Caution
75% Cash and 25% in at 55 (oops). Holding and waiting for something positive. Not sure the announcement on Thursday will be it. We will see.
Most likely selling my remaining holdings today. Going to the sidelines for now. I hope your right Bob, but I'm not so sure the low 50's or even high 40's aren't in the cards. Like Turbo, I think the change will come quickly, if it comes at all. GLTA
Pulled 50% out at the bell Wednesday. Hope it keeps going up. Now off to the Bass Tournament / Festival at Rio Vista, Ca. Good Health, Good Times and Good Luck to ALL.
Knees are starting to chatter a little, but hanging in until the market tells me otherwise. I'm not smart enough to catch every high mark but will get out if the market appears to be reversing. Have made a ton since 28Sep and am willing to risk giving a little back to make more.
So what's your point? You're not going to change the companies direction. You've taken a loss. I'm sorry. Do you have any better ideas for your investing? If you do then you'd be a fool to stay here. Point being whining gets you nowhere. I'm sure I'm down 10 times what you are in the current downturn, but I'm not whining because it's only a loss if I sell. She'll be back.
At this price RD continues to be a steal. Saudi is pumping near max and can't impact price by cranking the spigot any higher. Majors have cut capital spending to a point where production will be heavily impacted within 10 years. Iran is a ticking time bomb. RD Dividend is best in class. And usage is creeping ever so slightly up. And so on and so on. If I were a working man under 50 I'd buy and hold for 15 years.
Oops won't be selling at market close after all. Forgot about my monthly systematic withdrawal. Not allowed to move 401K funds while payment is pending. How about a little dumb luck here people?